President’s Blog › An exciting week…

Posted in: From the desk of the president | April 24, 2013

Last week was an extraordinary time to be on our campus. On Thursday morning, I had the opportunity to lead one of the panels for our Honors Day. This is a day where we recognize and support the outstanding scholarship our students and faculty are pursuing across academic disciplines, from history and economics to pharmaceutical research and from chemistry to artistic displays and musical recitals. That night, we recognized the William Plumer Jacobs Society donors at a wonderful banquet. During dinner, we honored Mary Bailey Vance Suitt and Virginia Gray Vance as our distinguished members of the Society for 2013, and they certainly deserve recognition for everything they have both done on behalf of PC.

On Friday morning, we held a meeting of the Board of Trustees where we affirmed our newest Vice Presidents and adopted revised qualifications for members of our faculty that describe how they connect to the mission of the College. Then, it was on to the inauguration, and my family and I were certainly moved by the proceedings. We were inspired by a spectacular new hymn written by our Director of Choral Activities, Professor Porter Stokes, and we were impressed by the Presbyterian College Choir’s rendition of Dein Sind Die Himmel. I am grateful to the many speakers at the event, including James H. Woodward, the Chancellor Emeritus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (who gave the keynote address), Bill Shearer, the former Chair of the Board of Trustees who presented me for the oath of office, and Pat Phillips, Chair of our Board of Trustees, who administered the oath of office. The festivities were touching and exhilarating for all of us and were capped off with the playing of “Scotland the Brave.” The staff and faculty worked very hard to execute the inaugural ceremony without a hitch (at least none that I saw), and I am especially grateful to Misty Herrin, Director of Special Events, for orchestrating the planning process and directing everyone involved.

The seniors’ Spring Fling topped off the week on Friday night. This was an event which Fran, the grandchildren, and I thoroughly enjoyed.

Yesterday, it was time to go back to work. Now, we are preparing for graduation—a fun and special event wrapped up in an exciting time of the year.

Fran and I are glad to be part of PC, and we thank all of you who have supported us during our first nine months.

‹ Back to President’s Blog