President’s Blog › Neville Grand Prix

Posted in: From the desk of the president | October 6, 2013

The last ten days have been very interesting. Beth Braxton, our new Vice President of Development, and I had the pleasure of visiting with the head of our capital campaign. The strategy for the campaign is coming together nicely, and the leadership team, with the campaign chair, will present a plan to the Board of Trustees in November.

The leadership team met with the consultants who are working on the designs for renovating Neville. My key concern is that Neville maintain its iconic presence on campus. Three plans were reviewed. The team liked one, but requested that some additional analysis be done to provide other options.

Pat Phillips, the chair of our Board of Trustees, and I had an opportunity this past Monday to go over all of the good things that are occurring at PC and to examine how we move forward. Pat’s input and recommendations are valuable assets that help me to focus.

The South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities had its fall meeting at Anderson University this past week. I had the pleasure of attending. It was a great time to learn from and share ideas with other presidents. The key issues on the mind of presidents included the impact of accreditation on strategic planning, the cost of higher education, and federal rating systems.

Tuesday night the Provost and I met with the faculty leadership team–the Senior Faculty Council. It was a good opportunity to discuss the College’s relationship with Clinton, class sizes, and how the needs of faculty and students would be met when Neville is renovated.

Other activities this week included watching the Women’s Volleyball Team play Winthrop Friday night, taking my grand children and Fran to the Wofford game, and attending the Neville Grand Prix Slot Car Races on Thursday evening. I am sure the first two are familiar to you. The Neville Grand Prix Slot Car Races were a new event for me. Dr. Stefan Wiecki set up his slot car race track outside of Neville. I had never raced slot cars. We had a great time, even if I was eliminated by Anita Gustafson–on the race track she has no fear. Events like this race may not sound important, but they are great for morale and are a great deal of fun.

Take care.

Claude

‹ Back to President’s Blog