President’s Blog › PC and Summer Trips

Posted in: From the desk of the president | June 8, 2014

Wearing PC gear certainly pays off. You never know when you are going to run into PC alumni. Recently, my wife, Fran, and I headed to Cashiers, North Carolina for a hike on a Panthertown Valley trail. The scenery was lovely, and the climb down into the valley went well. As we ascended, we spied a family of four descending. The father was leading the way. As we passed him, he noticed the “PC” logo on my shirt. He turned and smiled at his wife and said, “My wife is a PC alum.” She responded with a “Go Blue Hose,” as did I.

This was not the end of our good fortune. Later in the day, we went into the local coffee shop to get some coffee and a pastry. My wife picked up the “Home” section of the Atlanta Journal and Constitution paper and pointed out a story about a couple who had just bought a house in Sandy Springs. Just then, a young woman (Rebecca Carpenter Kennedy ‘02) who had noted my “PC” shirt came over and introduced herself. As fate would have it, she was the young woman pictured in the article my wife had just shown me. She, her parents and her two sisters attended PC. She took us over and introduced us to her mother, Sara Carpenter ‘74. We had a delightful time talking about the chance meeting and their passion for PC.

I have learned my lesson. I will never go anywhere that I do not wear a PC shirt—even when I am hiking. You meet the nicest people when you do. I hope you will proudly display the “PC” logo as you travel this summer.

‹ Back to President’s Blog