Society for the Advancement of Management (SAM)
PC faculty member Norman Scarborough established Presbyterian College’s chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Management (SAM) in 1980.
The organization gives students the opportunity to learn from seasoned, successful managers before embarking on their own careers. Experienced professionals speak about current management topics pertaining to a variety of areas. SAM has hosted speakers from McKesson, Accenture, Enterprise, Blackbaud, Palmetto Bank, Croxton Gray, American Solutions for Business, and Mary Kay, among others.
During two monthly meetings, typically on Thursday evenings at 6:00pm, speakers deliver short presentations followed by interactive question and answer sessions. Students have the chance to ask speakers about their career paths and workplace expectations. Speakers, in turn, give students advice on enjoying their time at PC, using their newly acquired knowledge, interviewing and searching for jobs, and making the most of life and their college degree.
In addition to meetings, SAM sponsors workshops that provide students with hands-on help in areas such as personal selling, résumés, and interviews. Students also learn about starting and managing businesses from entrepreneurs and small business owners.
The Department of Economics and Business Administration and SAM honors students for their outstanding academic achievement and leadership during the annual SAM Senior Banquet. Last year Molly McKenna received the department’s highest honor, the Outstanding Senior Award.
Past banquet speakers include:
- Mr. Ron Allen, Retired CEO, Delta Air Lines
- Mr. Truett Cathy, Founder, Chick-Fil-A
- Ms. Laura Jacobs Costello, Engagement Manager, McKinsey & Company
- Mr. Rich D’Alberto, CEO, Laurens County Healthcare System
- Mr. Andy Douglas, President, Palmetto Bank
- Mr. Mack Fleming, President, Charleston Tea Plantation
- Dr. Randy Folks, Professor of International Business, USC
- Mr. Roger Foltynowicz, Co-portfolio Manager, Water Island Capital
- Mr. Charles Fraser, President, Sea Pines Company
- Mr. Tom Griffin, Operations Manager, Asten-Johnson, Inc.
- Ms. Suzanne Hooper, Consultant, Ariba
- Mr. Paul Noble, Founder, FirstArtWorks
- Mr. Pete Sloan, Retired CEO, Lance, Inc.
- Mr. Bob Staton, Retired CEO, Colonial Life and Accident
- Ms. Brenda Stewart, Director of Marketing and Client Services, Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP
- Mr. Jack Tate, Founder, Baby Superstores (now Babies ‘R Us)
- Mr. Wilson Wearn, Retired CEO, Multimedia
- Dr. Bruce Yandle, Professor Emeritus of Economics, Clemson University
Articles (PDF format):
- PC alumna gives advice to SAM at Spring Banquet
- SAM Award Recipients, 2010
- Students for the Advancement of Management celebrate accomplishments
- SAM honors PC’s finest business/economics students
2012-2013 SAM student officers:
- President – Marshall Thomas
- Vice President of Programs – Elisa Truett
- VP of Public Relations – Ellis Hammond
- VP of Membership – Yanqin Yang
- VP of Finance – Abby Scott
- Senators – Pat Morgano, Courtney Murray, and Shannon Riley