Why Study Teacher Education at PC?
PC offers programs of study leading to teacher certification in many specialty areas—from early childhood, elementary, and middle school to secondary mathematics, English, social studies, and biology.
You will receive first-rate instruction: the PC Teacher Education Program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education/Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (NCATE/CAEP) and approved by the South Carolina State Department of Education.
Whether you plan to teach, attend graduate school, or use your knowledge and skills in other ways, our department is focused on helping you achieve your goals. Top students become top teachers, and the faculty at PC will strive to ensure that you attain your maximum potential.
What Teacher Education Programs are Offered?
We offer five programs of study that are uniquely dedicated to your success in the education profession:
- Early Childhood Education (pre-kindergarten-3rd grade)
- Elementary Education (grades 2-6)
- Middle Level Education (grades 5-8) – Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies
- Secondary Education (grades 9-12) – English, Mathematics, Biology, Social Studies
- Music Education (kindergarten-12th grade) – Instrumental, Vocal/Choral
What are the benefits to the Teacher Education Program?
All of our programs lead to teacher certification and are recognized for their:
- Outstanding curriculum focused on experiential learning
- Supportive relationships with peers and professors
- Small interactive classes
- Extended experiences working with students in local schools
- High pass rate on licensure exams
- Faculty committed to your learning
- Ongoing advising
- Opportunities to volunteer, study abroad, conduct research, present at conferences, continue in graduate school.
- Approximately 95% of PC educators remain in the teaching profession after 3 years as opposed to almost 50% of the teachers nationally who leave the profession.
- 100% of PC education majors graduate in 4 years.
- 82% of our graduates are employed as teachers upon graduation.
- High pass rate on national licensure examinations.
- Our graduates are employed in school districts throughout the United States.
- The Education Department has been identified as one of the top five departments on PC’s campus.