Requirements for the Biology Major
In addition to General Biology (Bio 105-105L and 112-112L), Summer Readings (Bio 198-199), Genetics (Bio 334), Scientific Writing and Presentation (Bio 399), and Senior Seminar (Bio 401), all majors must complete 24 hours in Biology. These 24 hours must include at least one course from each of the following areas, plus one 3-4 hr. elective chosen from any courses offered by the department (excluding internships), for a total of 39-40 hours.
- Organismal: Invertebrate Zoology 201, Vertebrate Zoology 202, Parasitology 208 or Microbiology 306.
- Cell/Molecular: Cell Biology 209, Biochemistry I 307(L), or Biochemistry II 308(L), Immunology Bio 318.
- Evolution/Ecology: Biogeography 207, Evolution 212, Ecology 314. or Paleontology 320.
- Plant Biology: Introductory Botany 203, Plant Systematics 206, or Plant Physiology 312.
- Function/Structure: Comparative Anatomy 302, Human Anatomy 303, Developmental Bio 304,
or Physiology 311.
Biology majors must also complete the following related courses:
- General Chemistry (Chem 101-101(L), 102-102(L); Organic Chemistry (Chem 221-221L)
- General Physics (Phys 121-121L, 122-122L)
- Either Bioinformatics (Bio 336), Calculus (Math 201 or 211), Statistics (Math 210), or Research Statistics (Psyc 320)
- The second semester of Organic Chemistry (Chem 222-222L) is strongly advised for preprofessional and pre-graduate school students.
Biology major card (PDF format)
Requirements for the Biology/Secondary Education major
- General Biology (Bio 105-105L and 112-112L);
- Summer Readings (Bio 198-199);
- Library Research Methods (Bio 399);
- Senior Seminar (Bio 401);
- Invertebrate Zoology 201 or Vertebrate Zoology 202;
- Introduction to Botany 203;
- Cell Biology 209;
- Comparative Anatomy 302 or Developmental Biology 304 or Physiology 311;
- Ecology 314;
- Genetics 334;
- and electives totaling 4 hours.
Biology/Secondary Education majors must also complete the following related courses:
- General Chemistry (Chem 101-101L, 102-102L);
- Organic Chemistry (Chem 221-221L);
- Introduction to Microcomputers (CSC 201);
- Earth Science (Phys 211);
- General Physics (Phys 121-121L, 122-122L) or Description Physics (Phys 205).
Biology/Secondary Education major card (PDF format)
Requirements for the Biology Minor, Environmental Science Minor, and Marine Studies Minor
Nineteen hours in Biology including Biology 105-105L, 112-112L. Courses to complete the Biology Minor may be selected from any 200, 300, or 400 level courses in Biology (excluding Bio 399 or Bio 401). The Environmental Science Minor and Marine Studies Minor have specific requirements that can be found in the documents in the links below.
Minor cards (PDF format)