Honors in Biology
Students with a 3.2 GPA in all courses and a 3.4 GPA in all courses in Biology may, with the approval of departmental faculty, undertake an Honors Research Program during their junior and senior year.
Oral and written presentations of the results of the project will be required. Students who successfully complete the Departmental Honors Research Program will graduate with Honors in Biology.
Recent Honors Projects
Fall 2010-Spring 2011
- Plyler Hamilton. The Prevalence of Avian Schistosomes in small lakes and ponds of the SC Piedmont
- Heather Rodebaugh. An Investigation into the Medicinal Properties of the Cloned OrchidLaeliocattleya
- Austin Shull. Comparison of gene knock-out strategies for use in Acidovorax functional genomics
- Meghan Skinner. Effects of [CO2] on stomata density and stomata index in Arabidopsis thaliana
- Jared Tavernier. Use of electron microscopy to evaluate maize resistance to Acidovorax
- Shanon Baldwin. Analysis of Ginsenosides in Commercial Ginseng Products
- Emily Davis. Genetic analysis of several subspecies of honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.)
- Michael Harris. Enyzmatic Analysis of the Hepatic Cecum from the Florida Lancelet, Branchiostoma floridae.
- Sarah Twitty. Molecular Detection of Parasitic Helminthes in South Carolina Soils.