written by Bryan Mcdaniel
The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team hosted the Wofford Terriers in Clinton, SC on Friday, February 17. The Blue Hose fought admirably but they fell just short losing 4-3 to the visiting Terriers. PC struggled during doubles play which proved to be their demise. The Terriers split matches with PC in singles competition but they earned the match winning point from a crucial doubles match.
Tinus Van Wyk and Stuart Robertson began the afternoon with a win in doubles, defeating Andrew Brigham and Rafael Berghaus 8-3 at the No. 1 spot. The doubles match at the No. 2 position foreshadowed how competitive the rest of the match would play out, as Alan Donald and Michael Schecter of Wofford, posted a 9-8 win match winning victory over Gonzalo Asis and Nathan Crocker for PC. The second doubles win gave the Terriers the overall doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
PC split points with Wofford in singles competition, with the Terriers winning the No. 1 spot and PC’s Asis taking a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the 5 spot. Wofford took the next two matches at the No. 3 and 4 spots, but the Blue Hose fought back to win the remaining No. 2, 4, and 6 spots. Gryason Mills and Zachary Sprouse both earned points for PC pulling PC within striking range of the Terriers.
PC’s next men’s tennis match is against Georgia State on Sunday, February 20th. Play is set to begin at 1 P.M. The match points for doubles and singles competition are listed below.
1. Robertson/Van Wyk (WC) def. Brigham/Berghaus (PC) 8-3
2. Donald/Schecter (WC) def. Asis/Crocker (PC) 9-8
3. Snead/Sprouse (PC) def. Superstein/Seiffert (WC) 9-8
1. Van Wyk (WC) def. Brigham (PC) 6-2,6-2
2. Mills (PC) def. Schecter (WC) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. Robertson (WC) def. Berghaus (PC) 6-1, 1-6, 7-6
4. Donald (WC) def. Mooney (PC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Asis (PC) def. Superstein (WC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Sprouse (PC) def. Wood (WC) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4