How to Make a Referral
Inform the student that his/her concerns will be kept in the strictest confidence, and suggest that the student stop by Counseling Services to schedule an appointment.
- Provide the student with our phone number, x8100, and our location in 120 E Calhoun St.
- Reluctant students who you feel need to be seen often respond well if you offer assistance. For example, calling Counseling Services (x8100) with the student in your office both assures that contact is made and demonstrates your interest and support.
- If the situation is an emergency, explicitly state that the student needs immediate attention when you call. Stay with the student or contact Campus Safety (x8301) or other Student Affairs staff, (such as Dr. Joy Smith, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students (x8275) if there is a threat of danger.
- Sometimes it is useful or necessary for you to walk with the student to the Dean of Student Life in Springs Campus Center or Counseling Services on E. Calhoun St.
- Lastly, if you are concerned about a student but are uncertain about the appropriateness of a referral, feel free to call Counseling Services (x8100) for a consultation.
If you have an after-hours emergency please call 911 or go to the Emergency Department of Lauren’s County Hospital.
The Wellness Center is located at 120 East Calhoun Street.