Confucius Institute (CI) at PC is sponsoring a scholarship to study abroad in China, and is now accepting applications. This endowment will allow students to go to China and study its language and culture. Below is the details:
In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities (hereinafter referred to as “host institutes”), or study in such majors as Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy.
1. Outstanding students from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) worldwide;
2. Foreign teachers who are teaching or planning to teach Chinese as a second language as well as people who are contributing to the broadcasting of Chinese language and culture;
3. Students who received distinguished grade from the Chinese Examination series held by Hanban;
4. Winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students；
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45).
Scholarship Category and Application Requirement
1．Scholarship for Short-term Study
Duration for these scholarships is generally divided into 1 semester and 1 academic year. Applicants are required to have a basic knowledge Chinese language level.
a. One-semester applicants. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 60 hours, or achieve a score of at least 120 on the new HSK (level 2).
b. One-academic year applicants. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 120 hours, or achieve a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 3).
2. Scholarship for MTCSOL (Master on Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages)
MTCSOL Scholarship: 2 academic years. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 5), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation.
Areas of Study
The areas of study including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy will be supported by 2013 Confucius Institute Scholarships.
Details of the Scholarships
1. Exempt from tuition fee, fee for accommodation on campus, outpatient expenses and medicine fee.
2. Monthly allowance is at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month)
a. Short-term study：CNY1,400
b. Master’s Degree Students：CNY1,700
3. One-off resettlement subsidy, at the following rates (CNY Yuan)：
a. Students who will study in China for 1 academic year or more：CNY 1,500
b. Students who will study in China for more than 1 semester, but within 1 academic year ： CNY 1,000
c. Students who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled will not be provided with the one-off resettlement.
4. Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by Confucius Institute Headquarters for the scholarship students.
Applicants are supposed to submit their application materials to the following institution:
1.The Education (Culture) Department (Section) in local Chinese Embassy and Consulate overseas.
2. Confucius Institutes worldwide.
3. Host universities.
4.Other institutions specified by Confucius Institute Headquarters.
For more information, please contact: