The Confucius Institute (CI) at PC is sponsoring a scholarship to study abroad in China, and is now accepting applications. This endowment will allow students to go to China and study its language and culture.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, come by the CI office in Brown Commons to learn more. Four students from our partner institutions–Wofford College, Clemson University, and Furman University–have applied for the scholarship and have been recommended to study at Guizhou University and Nanjing University.
1. HOW TO APPLY
Applicants, please log on to the Confucius Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, fill in the application form online, print the form, and sign it. Submit it to the Confucius Institute along with other application materials by March 31st.
The Confucius Institute will recommend qualified applicants and submit their documents to the hosting institutions in China. Applicants will be notified the decision of acceptance in June.
Applicants may check their application process and results at any time through the individual accounts they have set up on the Confucius Institute website.
Good academic standing; American citizens in good health.
3. CATEGORY & QUALIFICATIONS
1) Scholarships for Advanced Study: Duration is one semester or one academic year. A basic knowledge of Chinese language is required; applicants must be under the age of 55.
2) Scholarships for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages: Duration is two years. A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent is required; applicants must be under the age of 45.
4. APPLICATION PACKAGE
Please include two original copies of:
1) Passport photo
2) Cover Letter
3) Study Plan
4) Signed Application Form
5) Official Transcript
6) One Recommendation Letter
5. CLASSES OFFERED
While the scholarship is open to all majors, classes in the following subject areas are currently offered at the Chinese institutions: Chinese Language, Literature, Education, History, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Traditional Chinese Pharmacy
6. HOSTING INSTITUTIONS
Guizhou University, Zhejiang University, Beijing Language and Culture University, Beijing University, Tsinghua University, Xi’an International Studies University, Zhongshan University, Guangxi University, University of Yanshan, Nankai University, and others
7. THE SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE
Scholarship recipients receive a full tuition waiver, free dorm accommodations on campus, and outpatient medical service. Also included in the package are monthly allowances, a one-time settlement subsidy, and comprehensive medical insurance.
1) Monthly Allowances (CNY Yuan/month)
• Advanced study: CNY 1,400
• Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of other Languages: CNY 1,700
2) One settlement subsidy at the following rates (CNY Yuan)
• Students who will study in China for one academic year or more: CNY 1,500
• Students who will study in China more than one semester, but within one academic year: CNY 1,000
Comprehensive Medical Insurance is provided by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters for scholarship students in China in case of hospitalization for serious illness or injury.
For more information, please contact: