Declaring a Major or Minor

The Program of Study
A Program of Study leads to the Bachelor of Arts and/or Bachelor of Science degree/s. It has three parts:

  • General Education
  • Specialized Study: Major (required) and Minor (optional)
  • Electives

Declaring a Major
In order to graduate, you must complete the requirements for at least one major. When you first enroll, your major is ‘Undeclared.’ You should declare your major by the end of your sophomore year; you must do it by the end of fall term of your junior year. When you are ready to declare a major:

  • Find a faculty member who agrees to be your major advisor.  He/she must be in the major department, and therefore will likely be different from your current advisor.  If that is the case, see the procedure for changing your advisor.
  • Find the Major Form for your major and print it. It lists the classes that you need to take for the major.
  • You and your major advisor must sign the Major Form.
  • Bring the signed Major Form (and the Change of Advisor form, if necessary) to the Registrar’s Office.

To check whether your Major Form has been processed, you can do one of the following:

  • Go to BannerWeb and look at your transcript. The major (and minor, if you have one) is listed at the top left side. Or, look at the Registration Information.
  • Call the Registrar’s Office at ext. 8201, and ask.
  • Send an email to

Declaring a Minor
A minor is optional, but often useful.  Declaring a minor is similar to declaring a major (see above): find a minor advisor, find the appropriate Minor Form, print it, get signatures, and bring it to the Registrar’s Office.

Changing a Major or Minor
To change your major or minor, go through the above procedure for the new major or minor, and when you submit the Major or Minor Form, tell the Registrar’s Office that you want to drop the old major or minor.

If you have other questions, you may email them to or call extension 8201.