Katie Anderson: Valentine’s Day › Katie Anderson: Valentine’s Day

Posted in: Bluefish Blog | February 18, 2014

IMG_1578Hey y’all. My name is Katie Anderson. Now a junior, I have been part of the Bluefish ministry since freshman year. Three years later, I couldn’t be more grateful to serve as a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, and have a cohort who does the same for me.  I am a Biology/ Pre-Pharmacy major and music minor. I am the second oldest of four children, a Disney enthusiast, and I don’t like Valentine’s Day.

I have never been one for Valentine’s Day. Surprisingly, it’s not for the reasons anyone might assume.

I don’t love candy, and I never really have. Growing up, Halloween candy always lasted until Christmas candy. Christmas candy made it to Valentine’s Day candy which lasted until Easter. Soon summer turned to fall, and Halloween had come again. It was a vicious cycle of never ending candy that I felt the need to protect from my siblings—based on the principle that they had already eaten theirs.

In 1998, I broke my arm on Valentine’s Day and spent 8 weeks in a cast.

I’ve had the stomach flu on Valentine’s Day (lovely).

One Valentine’s Day, my younger brother kicked me in the face. He was four… it was, in fact, an accident. He knocked out my tooth. Fortunately, it had been loose anyway.

I have almost come to expect that Valentine’s Day isn’t going to be the highlight of my year. This year I decided to be proactive. In honor of the impending Valentine’s Day of Doom, I decided to keep a running list of things that had made me feel loved. I thought I would share a few of them with you all.

Two friends attempted to keep me from going to work on a Friday night. Their plan was to restrain me with hugs. They did for fifteen minutes before conceding that I shouldn’t lose my job, even though they would miss my company.

Someone I didn’t know handed me the last tray in GDH, even though it meant they wouldn’t have one.

My mom saved me the last two chocolate chip muffins from Sunday morning breakfast knowing I was spending the afternoon in my hometown. This is no easy feat because she had to prevent my brother—who is several inches taller every time I see him—from eating them. (Go Mom!)

I received a post card from a friend in the Peace Corps and heard back from a friend currently studying abroad.

Looking back over the complete list (it’s relatively long for 10 days), I can’t help but notice that it is filled with little things, simple gestures, and passing moments.  I doubt that in a single instance, any of these people realized with one kind action, they would single handedly make my day. The list reminded me of these words from Mother Teresa, “Don’t look for big things, just do small things with great love. The smaller the thing, the greater must be our love.” I challenge you to do small things with great love. I challenge you to take notice because whether or not you love Valentine’s Day, you are loved.

‹ Back to Katie Anderson: Valentine’s Day