Jordan Ashley Elected to NCAA Administrative Cabinet

Presbyterian College softball player Jordan Ashley (Abbeville, S.C.), who was recently selected as the Big South’s National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) Representative, attended her first national meeting two weeks ago. At that meeting she was elected to serve on the Administration Cabinet to become the only student representative in the cabinet, from Division I to Division III. Ashley becomes the first student-athlete at PC to play such an important role in the shaping of decisions by the NCAA as a voice from the National SAAC.

“I am honored to be a part of this integral decision-making body,” said Ashley. “When this position was described to me I knew that is where my passion would lie. I was nominated and gave a speech in front of the National SAAC and was voted on by my peers, which was a great honor for me.”

The Administration Cabinet is responsible for addressing Division I administrative functions, including governance issues, the Division I membership process and all committee selections. The Administrative Cabinet reports to the Division I Leadership Council on policy issues and the Division I legislative Council on legislative issues. It is one of six Division I cabinets that report to the Leadership Legislative Councils.

The Leadership Council serves as the primary advisory group to the Board of Directors on strategic and policy issues. The Legislative Council is the primary legislative body in the Division I governance structure.

Ashley, a catcher for the Blue Hose, represented PC at the Big South’s Leadership Conference last summer and was selected as the Vice Chair of the Big South SAAC for the 2014-15 campaign. She served as the softball team’s freshman captain in 2013, representing her fellow 12 freshmen classmates.

As a member of the PC SAAC, she was instrumental in several community service events and initiatives to improve the student-athlete experience, such as the extension of the Greenville Dining Hall hours to accommodate practice schedules and having the menu in the Springs Student Center include more healthy fare, especially during the late evening.

The softball team engages in multiple community service events throughout the year and Ashley has been a part of several of these, including the annual YMCA Easter Egg Hunt and the YMCA Afterschool program. She has also spent time at the Open Door Christian Center Soup Kitchen, and the local Habitat for Humanity.

“I think Jordan’s selection to both the NCAA Division I SAAC and the Administration Cabinet, is a great accomplishment for her, as well as for Presbyterian College,” stated Director of Athletics Brian Reese. “This cabinet is a vital part of the NCAA and she will represent the Blue Hose and the Big South with honor and integrity. I am excited for what she can accomplish.”