Sending Hope to China

Sending Hope to China

Graham Hope Will Attend Guizhou University For a Year-Long Language Study

When Presbyterian College senior Graham Hope first visited China, he had no idea what the country had in store for him. Now, the sociology major and double minor in Chinese and philosophy will be moving to China on a scholarship from the Confucius Institute to attend Guizhou University for a year-long language study.

Originally from Due West, S.C., Graham first visited China on a PC Maymester trip and then for a semester abroad at PC’s partner college Guizhou University. “Both times I studied abroad at Guizhou University, I met dozens of master and doctoral degree candidates from overseas,” explains Graham.

He continued,“The graduate-level international students were a real inspiration to me. Many of them helped teach me useful phrases, told me about the most interesting places to travel, introduced me to their Chinese friends, and showed me the best places to eat. Through my daily experiences with my friends at Guizhou University, I realized what a great opportunity the Chinese Government Scholarship is.”

Graham is looking forward to the opportunities for language growth that this program will bring him. “With greater language fluency comes a better understanding of the culture, and that’s the whole reason I went to China in the first place!”

When he is not preparing for his year abroad, Graham is actively involved on campus. He is a member of Sigma Nu fraternity where he served as marshal for two years, and served as the president of the Political Action Association of Students since his sophomore year. He also enjoys participating in intramural sports and works as a staff member for the Sports Information and Game Operations team for the Blue Hose Athletic Department. He also works for the Confucius Institute and as the student assistant for the sociology department.

For now, Graham’s plans are open-ended—he hasn’t put a timeline on his stay in China. “I will have several years to improve my Chinese language skills, immerse myself in a fascinating culture, make lifelong connections, and live in one of the coolest cities in China? Sign me up!”