BOOT 2015 and a Twist on Freshmen Orientation

Right before students returned to campus in August, a group of eight new students, three professors, and a staff member attended a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The trip was the Blue Hose Outdoor Orientation Outdoor Trip (BOOT) 2015. For three days and two nights, the group enjoyed a mix of rafting on the Nantahala River and hiking the Black Balsam Knob.

This was a new way of welcoming incoming freshmen to Presbyterian College. The students who attended moved in early, and then left with the others. They had a chance to make connections with each other as peers and student-professor relationships as they hiked, rafted, and explored the Blue Ridge Mountains.

“All the students listed friendships, relationships, or community as one of the chief gains of the trip,” Daniel Adams, director of student involvement said. “By the end of the first card ride they were already a solid group of students and each sought ways to include the others into all our activities. We had about two-thirds of the students who had never been whitewater rafting and all enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the thrill of the Nantahala River.”

For a professor that has spent several decades as a part of the PC community, this twist to the orientation process created treasured memories with the students already. A different approach to the traditional introduction established between students and professors the first week of classes.

“In a word, my experience with this freshmen outdoor orientation group is without a question, a highlight of my 17 years at PC,” said Dr. Bob Bryant, Kristen Herrington Professor of Bible. “I look forward to seeing it grow in the years ahead.”

The students experienced a similar memorable trip through the development of friendships with their classmates. The bond has continued since their return to campus and start of the academic year.

“Personally my favorite part of the trip was the rafting since it was a new experience for me, and I loved it. Everyone that went on the trip is still in contact with one another and we hang out daily,” said Chris Plummer, a Pre-Pharmacy student from Aiken. “That was probably the best part of the trip; the long lasting friendships we made, which otherwise would have been more difficult or taken longer to forge.”

Another professor saw this as a chance to not only build relationships, but expose the students to the values of Presbyterian College. A concept they are taught in the next four years as a Blue Hose, but with a different introduction through structured activities.

“To me, both developing and going on this trip is what I love about PC: building great relationships with students, faculty, and staff,” said Dr. Suann Yang, assistant professor of biology. “I see BOOT as a way we can introduce students to the Presbyterian College Mission, especially the goals related to environmental stewardship and a healthy lifestyle.”

This trip was one that these freshmen and professors hope is only the beginning. Not only of the physical trips, but the deepening of PC relationships as well. Brendon Mitchell, a freshmen Business major from Charlotte, N.C. summarized a common theme among all attendees.

“I hope to still have connection with all the people and hope to do more fun and exciting things. Such as the experiences I was able to do during the BOOT trip,” Mitchell said. “Can’t wait to see what adventures I do next.”

On the Day of Service during Welcome Back Week, 5 of the 8 student participants signed up for the same service site.

Written by Rebecca Rowell, a senior English major, double minor in media studies and women and gender studies from Lugoff, S.C.