Leah Lawson ’15 to compete in Miss USA pageant

Leah Lawson '15, Miss South CarolinaAs Miss South Carolina USA 2016, Leah Lawson, a 2015 graduate of Presbyterian College, will be competing in the Miss USA pageant that will take place in Las Vegas on June 5. When asked how her time at PC shaped her journey, she said, “You’re only as strong as your support system, and I had an incredible support system at PC.”

Lawson was very involved during her time on campus. During her senior year, she served in a vice president position for Student Activities Board, a position that demonstrates her love for community-building.

Moreover, concerning her involvement in Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, an organization she joined as a freshman, Lawson said, “Being a part of Zeta Tau Alpha helped prepare me for my journey to the Miss USA pageant. I found my passion for breast cancer awareness as a member of this sorority. If I become Miss USA, I will become the national spokesperson for breast cancer and ovarian cancer awareness.”

Lawson also worked for the PC football team under Coach Harold Nichols for her four years as a student. Considering that her father is a high school football team, she found this experience gratifying, and she appreciates the relationships she formed with members of the athletic department. “I had my sendoff party two weeks ago, and a lot of PC staff members, including Coach Nichols and his daughter, were there,” she said.

Despite her already busy schedule, Lawson decided to begin competing in pageants after her sophomore year of college. “I had a lot of body image issues, so I wanted to be a healthier person, and I wanted to be happy. I had never thought about doing a pageant until I made this lifestyle change.”

Lawson continued participating in pageants throughout her last two years at PC, as did she take a week off of class during her senior year to compete in the fourteenth season of American Idol. From these experiences, Lawson came to understand just how strong her support system at PC was: “All my professors were very supportive of me when I competed in American Idol and during the pageant process. They saw me at my low points and high points, and they have been with me every step of the way.”

Lately, Lawson has been busy preparing for the Miss USA pageant and fulfilling her role as Miss South Carolina USA. She recently traveled to Washington, D.C. to visit with 15 US representatives, including three from South Carolina. She also visited New York where she did a photo shoot with a modeling agency and visited the Miss Universe office.

When asked if she still faces obstacles, Lawson said, “We all have our insecurities. I wake up every day and tell myself that I am happy with who I am. It’s so important to be content with who you are and love yourself.”

The Miss USA pageant will air on Fox at 7 p.m. on June 5, and she hopes that everyone will watch. “It’s not just one person behind this journey. So many people have contributed to this process for me, and many of them are from PC. Their support means the world to me.”