Alumna Nominated to be the “Pastor to Pastors”

Rev. Dr. Alice Ridgill ’98 | Presbyterian College | Clinton SCThe Rev. Dr. Alice Ridgill ’98 has been called as the Associate General Presbyter of the Presbytery of Charlotte.

Ridgill, who most recently served as pastor of New Faith Presbyterian Church in Greenwood County, will begin the role in January.

“I am both humbled and elated to receive the nomination to serve as Associate General Presbyter of the Presbytery of Charlotte,” Ridgill said. “In this role, I look forward to serving the churches and good people of the Presbytery with integrity, creativity and enthusiasm.

“As a pastor, I served one congregation, and I loved doing that. In this role, however, I will have the opportunity to use my gifts in service to many congregations. In some ways, I will get to be a pastor to pastors. That excites me! I love serving God and the people of God!”

Dr. Ridgill’s Education

Ridgill earned a Bachelor of Arts from PC, a Master of Divinity and Doctor of Ministry from Erskine Theological Seminary, a Certificate in Executive Leadership from McCormick Theological Seminary, and an MBA from Louisiana State University (Shreveport).

Ridgill said her time at PC taught her “the value and importance of service above self, as encapsulated in the PC motto, Dum Vivimus Servimus, ‘While we live, we serve.’”

“Ministry is about service. It is about serving God and God’s people,” she continued. “While at PC, I was a member of the Lady Blue Hose women’s basketball also.

“Being a student-athlete taught me the value of teamwork and hard work. Also, it taught me the importance of being dedicated, determined and disciplined. I look forward to taking these values and attributes with me to the Presbytery of Charlotte.”

Early Career

Ridgill is a chaplain in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. She holds the rank of captain and served as the installed pastor of New Faith, a congregation that began as a new worshipping community in 2010.

New Faith made history by becoming the first African American Presbyterian Church in Greenwood County. The church was chartered in 2015 when a newly built sanctuary was also dedicated.

Ridgill said leading New Faith as the founding and installed pastor for the past 10 years “has been one of the greatest joys of my life.”

Before organizing New Faith, Ridgill served as pastor of Washington Street Presbyterian Church, adjunct professor of Pastoral Care at Erskine Theological Seminary and campus pastor of Thornwell Home for Children.

She is the author of “Maximizing the Meantime: Feasting on God in Times of Famine,” and her current and past service to the larger church includes: chair of the Committee on Representation for the Synod of South Atlantic, Presbyterians Caring for Chaplains and Military Personnel Board of Directors, and the Presbyterian Mission Agency Board of Directors.