Frank C. King ‘64 receives the Mike Turner Scotsman Club Service Award

Frank King Presbyterian College Clinton SC

Frank King ’64 has been named the 2020 Mike Turner Scotsman Club Service Award recipient. The honor recognizes King for his sustained efforts and devoted leadership as a Scotsman Club member and scholarship patron.

The retired educator and avid sportsman served as superintendent of schools for 21 years in Ben Hill County, Tift County, and Upson County, Georgia.

“I was raised by parents who valued education,” King said. “Along the way, I was inspired and taught well by many teachers and coaches.

“As I grew older, I realized how my educational opportunities helped me with my career and adult life. I also witnessed the struggles of many who were poorly educated. I became passionate about education and wanted to establish a culture of success wherever I had leadership responsibility.”

After he retired as a school administrator, King joined Morgan Keegan and Company and became first vice president of Atlanta Public Finance.

When Raymond James purchased Morgan Keegan in 2013, he transferred to Raymond James and continues to serve as first vice president in the Georgia division. As a financial consultant, King helped plan more than 250 successful school bond referendums. That work has resulted in many new, improved educational facilities.

In addition to his work with Raymond James, King is president of King Educational Services, a leading educational consulting firm in Georgia.

A four-year football letterman and PC captain, King says PC prepared him for him for graduate school at Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Auburn universities.

“Because of the small size of the College and living on campus with the majority of the student body, I was able to build many relationships and learn lessons outside of the formal classroom education,” he said. “I also had leadership experiences at PC I would not have had a large university.”

At PC, King has served on the Alumni Board of Directors, is president of the Scotsman Club, and a member of the William Plumer Jacobs Society.

As an alumnus, King has been a faithful leadership level donor to the Scotsman Club. He has also designated a planned gift to establish the Frank ’64 and Patricia King Scholarship.

King has also served on numerous state boards during his professional career including the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the state YMCA of Georgia. He was a director of the Georgia School Superintendents Association, the Georgia Association of Educational Leaders, and on the Executive Committee of the Georgia High School Association.

The Thomaston resident has also served in the following organizations:

• Thomaston-Upson Art Council, director and president
  • Kiwanis Club, president
  • Rotary Club, president
  • Family, Youth, and Children’s Alliance, chair
  • Thomaston-Upson Development Authority
  • Chamber of Commerce, director
  • Upson County Board of Health
  • Upson-Lee Booster Club, director

King received the Distinguished Service Award from the Georgia School Superintendents Association. In 2002, the King family was named Georgia’s Family of the Year by the state YMCA.

Among his many awards, he has also been active in civic and church affairs. He has been a Presbyterian elder for 35 years and is presently a trustee and Sunday school teacher at the First Presbyterian Church of Thomaston, Ga.

Born in Memphis, Tenn., on Aug. 6, 1942, King is the son of the Rev. Frank King and Elizabeth King. He was married 42 years to Patricia, now deceased, and has daughters Amy and Beth, a brother, Bobby, and six grandchildren.