Freshman continues passion for music at PC

For freshman Micah Sanchez, being able to perform in the music department at PC is ”like a breath of fresh air.” Presbyterian College offers the opportunity to pursue both a liberal arts college education and your passions. Check out more of what he had to say:

What year are you and what is your intended major?

I’m in the class of 2024 and my intended majors are Music Performance and Psychology

What part of the music department are you in and what do you play?  

I am the third chair cellist for the orchestra as well as the orchestra assistant. I’m also a part of the chamber ensemble and the cello choir. Starting this semester I will also be joining the band department as a member of the percussion ensemble.

What is it like being in that department?  

Being in the orchestra at PC is very different from what I was doing before I started college. Being able to perform with other musicians was not something I was able to do often before I started playing at PC because my high school didn’t have an orchestra, so being at PC and being able to play with other musicians that have the same passion for music as I was like a breath of fresh air!

What other organizations on campus besides music are you involved in?

I am the Secretary as well as the Historian for the Beta Psi chapter of Theta Chi here at PC and I am also recently a part of MSU! One of the clubs I am currently interested in joining this spring semester is the Green Hose.

How long have you been involved in music or what has been your history with music? How long have you played your instrument, and what made you want to start?

I first started playing the cello in the 6th grade when I joined the orchestra at my school. I initially wanted to play the violin, but my teacher at the time gave us a preview of each instrument, and after hearing the cello I was instantly hooked! I ended up moving towards the end of my 6th-grade year and I didn’t have my own cello again until the 8th grade. My freshman year of high school is when I really started to have a passion for playing and during that time I was playing for the National Federation of Music Clubs in their orchestra as well as in a trio. I also started composing music for cello and string ensembles as well as producing music, both of which I still do today.

How has music played a role in your life and why is it important to you?

Music has played such an important role in my life. Listening and being able to play music has always been something I could rely on to help me get through hard times in my life. It has helped me through so much that at times I feel almost an obligation to center my life around it, happily of course. I learned early on that music has a way of evoking strong emotion in people, and that intrigued me. Through music, I express my feelings, whether it be by performing a piece or writing my own and playing it. I made the connection that I could compose a piece that was happy, angry, sad, etc., and be able to share that feeling with anyone who listened to it, and that’s what drew me toward music.

Why do you think the music department is important to a college like PC or to colleges in general?

The music department is important to colleges like PC and others because it gives its students who enjoy and have a passion for music the opportunity to grow with their instrument and to expand their knowledge of music under the guidance of professors who have that same passion. It gives them an opportunity to perform for their peers and it teaches them how to be a successful musician in the real world!

What has been your favorite memory with being involved in the music department here at PC so far and why?

My favorite music department memory so far here at PC is my first live performance with the PC orchestra. It had been years since I performed with an orchestra (I did a lot of solo performances in high school because my school didn’t have an orchestra) and so it was a fun experience being able to perform with a group again!

The PC Department of Music offers a variety of opportunities including PC Chamber Orchestra and small chamber ensembles (duos, trios, quartets, and quintets). All students at PC are eligible to participate. Studying music at PC allows for a more intimate environment of learning that fosters musical growth through community, access to close faculty mentoring, and the flexibility to fully explore musical and intellectual passions. To learn more about the Music Department, faculty, staff, ensembles, clinics, and events, visit www.presby.edu/music.