PC names baseball field in honor of head coach Elton Pollock ‘95

Presbyterian College’s ring ceremony honoring the 2021 Big South Baseball Championship team had a surprise ending.

Announced during Homecoming Weekend, PC’s head baseball coach Elton Pollock ’95 now coaches the Blue Hose on Elton Pollock Field thanks to a generous $500,000 gift from friends and former players.

Bennett Nalley, who played under Pollock and led the volunteer fundraising effort, delivered the announcement to a large crowd and a visible surprised Pollock.

Pollock said he accepts not only the honor but also the accountability that comes with it. A large part of that accountability, he said, rests on hard work and giving glory to God.

“This a heck of an honor – and one I don’t take lightly,” he said. “… It’s crazy. And why? Because I still feel like we have a long way to go. We’ve got a lot to do.”

Pollock credited his championship team for making the naming honor possible.

“What separated this group as they came down the stretch is that they got it done each and every day on the field – not just in the games that you saw,” he said. “The real work goes on in the fall and they can attest to that. The grind. … All these things that are staples of the program. The foundation was laid. In times of turmoil, we kept looking up.”

Pollock also thanked the crowd of well-wishers, friends, family members, and former players.

“Thanks to all of you. This is a heck of an honor – one that I did not expect,” he said. “I’m so thankful because you thought enough of me name this field after me. And I think enough of you to try and perpetuate what we’ve already laid the foundation for – to hopefully go out there and do this thing again in 2022.”