It starts with service: PC’s Class of 2026 begins college career by combatting hunger

Presbyterian College’s newest students began their college educations Monday with a lesson in service.

PC first-year students joined upperclassmen and members of the local community packing food at First Presbyterian Church for Rise Against Hunger, an international organization that sends healthy meals to millions of people experiencing food insecurity around the world.

The group packed 14,000 meals of rice, soy protein, and vegetables for shipment – and experienced firsthand what it means to embrace PC’s motto, “While We Live, We Serve.”

“It’s incredible that at the very beginning of their experience at PC – before opening convocation, before they started classes – these freshmen rolled up their sleeves and showed up to be part of a community service,” said the Rev. Dr. Buz Wilcoxon, Marianne and E.G. Lassiter Chaplain and Dean of Spiritual Life. “Student Volunteer Services is such an important part of what it means to be a student at PC, so for them to serve from the beginning is something I look forward to hearing them reflect on in the years to come.

“As seniors, they’ll remember back to this day when their entire class gathered in a church gym, packing food for communities impacted by food deserts, by hunger, and by food insecurity. They’ll remember that they made a real difference in a really transformative way from the very start.”

Students also will remember how service played an essential part in their decisions to come to PC in the first place.

“I think it’s just wonderful that you have a college that not only empowers students to focus on their grades but also to go out and get their hands dirty and help their community,” said Maggie Jones, a freshman from Greenwood. “Being a good citizen is not only being productive yourself but also helping your neighbor.”

Jeremiah Hampton is a freshman from Belton who aspires to become an engineer. But designing things that work, he said, is not his only goal.

“I’ve always been interested in helping people,” he said. “This is a great way for me to give back to the community and help them.”

Zach Smith, a freshman from Alpharetta, Ga., said his service life began years back by helping out at a retirement home where his grandfather lived. He said that finding a college where service is emphasized was a “big factor” in his decision to enroll at PC.

Simpsonville freshman Gigi Kannenberg said she favored the idea that PC would help her find ways to serve.

“I’ve always loved helping whenever I could but it’s hard to find those things by yourself,” she said. “I love that PC can give us opportunities to help whenever I can.”

And enjoy it as much as she did at Monday’s event.

“It’s super important me,” Kannenberg said. “I was so excited. We were getting on the shuttles to come here and everybody was cheering. It was exciting to finally be able to get involved – and it was just our third day here.”

Freshman Troy Rice said service was something his grandmother emphasized and believes PC is a stage for him to live into her values and make them his own.

Divine Mbay, a freshman from Buford, Ga., came to PC with years of service in her church. Seeing people in her native state struggling with poverty and hunger made Monday’s project all the more tangible.

A daughter of immigrants, Mbay said she hopes projects like the Welcome Week service event will inspire her classmates to make service a lifelong priority.

“To help someone who is less fortunate, I feel like it’s something that everybody needs to do,” she said. “I know we’re a little bit in our own heads sometimes but this event can get us to snap out of it and look around at what’s going on in our world. Lots of people say children are the future and we really are, so this can be the start of changing the world’s course.”