Rick Heiser , Ph.D.
Professor of History
Department of HistoryEmail Dr. Heiser
M.A., Ph.D., Florida State University
B.A., Nyack College
Research Fields/ Areas of Specialty/Teaching
- 12th-century England
- Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern Europe
About Dr. Heiser
While I have been teaching college students since 1988, my history with Presbyterian College began in 1999.
My academic career started when I completed a B.A. at Nyack College, a private Christian liberal arts college. During the four years of my undergraduate study, I had been inspired by faculty who modeled excellent instruction in history and genuine interest in their students. It became a career goal to follow in their footsteps. So, from Nyack College, I attended Florida State University where I took both graduate degrees (M.A. and Ph.D.) in medieval European history. My doctoral dissertation concerned the lower government officials of the reign of Richard I Lionheart, the crusader king of England who died in 1199. From that research, I have published a few articles and in 2000 co-authored with my former professor, Dr. Ralph V. Turner, a book entitled The Reign of Richard Lionheart.
Over the course of my career as a professor, I have taught many different courses, but the fields where I have been asked to do most of my teaching cover western history from its beginnings to about 1700 A.D. What follows is a list of the courses that I have taught at PC:
- Ancient and Medieval Europe
- Ancient and Medieval Law
- Greeks, Romans, and Barbarians
- History of Christianity
- History of Scotland
- Medieval England and France
- Medieval Warfare
- Renaissance and Reformation
- Tudor and Stuart England
- Senior Seminar (Topics I have taught include the Crusades, Inquisition, Rome, the Byzantines, the Stuart Dynasty of England, the Tudor Dynasty of England, and the Continental Reformation)
- Short-term Study Abroad (Destinations to which I have taken students include France, England, Scotland, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Portugal and the Azores, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, and Spain)
My wife and I have four grown children who have begun to give us grandchildren. We enjoy living in the Upstate of South Carolina. Some of our hobbies and activities include camping, hiking to waterfalls, gardening (flowers and vegetables), and caring for our chickens and ducks.