Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications
Position Type: Full-Time, Staff
Job Description Summary: The Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications leads the Strategic Communications & Video Productions department and will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic communications plan for Athletics in collaboration with other members of the department’s external operations team. The Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications will also serve as a member of the athletic department’s senior leadership team and will have sport supervision responsibilities for at least two sport programs.
Duties and Tasks:
- Supervise and direct the activities of employees in the athletic department’s Strategic Communications and Video Productions units.
- Develop, lead and coordinate the development of the department’s strategic communications, annually and for periodic strategic communications initiatives.
- Work in close collaboration with other externally-focused units to develop and coordinate strategies to improving fan attendance, alumni support and the overall fan experience at home events.
- Serve as a member of the athletics department senior staff team and fulfill various administrative responsibilities that will advance the overall well-being of the athletics department, including sport supervision of assigned sports. Specific sport supervision duties will be assigned respective of the incumbent’s skill set and needs of the department.
- Serve as the primary public relations practitioner and media liaison for PC Athletics.
- Coordinate all outbound messaging in order to shape, enhance and protect the PC Athletics brand and image and to conceptualize, create and distribute strategic and cutting-edge content.
- Monitor public perception of athletics programs and coordinate strategic messaging to media and public through verbal and digital communications.
- Serve as liaison for PC Athletics with members of the media by developing strategic connections and working relationships with the local, regional and national media.
- Maintain and update the Presbyterian College athletics website. Monitor, update, analyze and publish content to electronic/social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, email, etc.
- Coordinate and schedule game operations for all home competitions, including managing clock operators, scorekeepers, statisticians, announcers, media, and those involved in pre-game, in-game, and post-game activities.
- Oversee, coordinate, and circulate statistics for all home events.
- Maintain accurate statistics for each sport and submit to member conferences and the NCAA; build and maintain digital historical records of Presbyterian College student-athletes and teams.
- Lead, conduct and oversee all operations of the Athletic Communications unit, including by not limited to: Nominating student-athletes for academic & athletics awards; Prepare, coordinate and distribute news releases; Write, edit and design game programs, brochures, schedules, and graphics; Direct arrangement of press coverage and all necessary equipment for media covering home athletic events; Serve as official source for dissemination of accurate information highlighting PC athletics, teams, student-athletes, coaches, and administrators; Manage daily media relations operations; Coordinate and provide photographic services for coaches and the department.
- Interview, hire, and monitor the activities of student workers or volunteers assigned; Develop a functional internship program.
- Be self-motivated and have knowledge and strong interest in college athletics, game productions, improving the fan experience, social media and digital marketing.
- Attend athletic events and other University events as necessary, which may include travel, nights and weekends.
Required Knowledge Skills, Abilities, Experience and Education and experience:
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, or related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years related experience in a collegiate athletics environment, including experience with sports information, athletics communications, and/or media relations.
- Ability to develop & maintain positive interactions with a diverse group of stakeholders, including members of the administration, faculty, staff, students, media and the community at large.
- Experience managing and creating engaging content for several social media platforms.
- Experience with PC platform computers, Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, website platforms (including SIDEARM), Stat Crew statistical software and NCAA Live Stats (Genius) Software.
- Proven accuracy, thoroughness, timeliness, attention to detail and sense of urgency in meeting responsibilities and established deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellence in sports journalism, media relations and public relations.
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, ability to resolve issues under time constraints, and ability to create a functional structure to accommodate multiple events at once.
Preferred education and experience (if applicable):
- Experience in leading and managing strategic communications for an intercollegiate athletics program.
- Experience in collaborating with other external units, including but not limited to video productions, gameday operations, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales, and marketing.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to supervise full-time staff, gameday workers, student workers, volunteers, and independent vendors.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students, and the public, and work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Work Environment: Standard office hours of Mon. – Fri. 8:30 am to 5 pm. Must be willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Some travel may be included.
E-mail letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big South, or any athletics conference in which Presbyterian College is a member or may join, and other established bodies that govern or oversee intercollegiate athletics. In the event Employee becomes aware, or has reasonable cause to believe, that violations of these organizations’ constitutions, bylaws, rules or regulations may have taken place, Employee shall promptly report the same to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance at the institution. Employee shall cooperate fully and completely with any investigation of any alleged violation, whether such investigation is conducted by the University, NCAA or any other duly authorized agency or individual.
Presbyterian College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College seeks to hire the most qualified candidate and does not discriminate against any legally protected class.