Job Description Summary:
The Controller oversees the operation of the Business Office and preparation for the College’s annual audit; and is responsible for preparation of the College’s annual operating budget and financial statements. He or she will attend meetings of the Audit and Resource Management Committees of the Board of Trustees.
The Controller reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPF&A) and serves as the principal advisor on financial and budgetary matters to the VPF&A. In addition, this position regularly interacts with and supports the President and members of the President’s Leadership Team.
The Controller directly supervises a staff of 5:
- Senior Accountant
- Senior Accountant
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Student Accounts Manager
The Controller is responsible for the efficient and correct performance of duties in the following areas (directly or through training and oversight of the Business Office staff).
- General Accounting and Finance
- Review supporting documentation for all checks prior to release of payment
- Review supporting documentation for all direct deposits, electronic fund transfers and ACH transactions prior to funds being released
- Supervise and review reconciliation of investment accounts
- Supervise and review reconciliation of gifts posted to G/L (Banner) with gifts posted to Advancement records system (Raiser’s Edge)
- Approve posting and reconciliation of general ledger and operating accounts, including transactions from payroll and other sub ledgers
- Oversee payroll, credit cards, fixed assets, endowment accounting, bond accounting, investment reporting, restricted funds
- Review trial balance on monthly basis
- Review monthly operating fund report
- Maintain the Chart of Accounts
- Maintain working knowledge of accounting software packages to be able to support staff
- Reporting, Compliance and Tax
- Prepare the annual financial statements and related notes
- Coordinate all external audits of the College
- Prepare and review key external reports and recommend approval by the VPF&A (IRS Form 990, Form 990-T, IPEDS Finance, NCAA compliance report and US Department of Education Equity in Athletics “EADA” and EZ Audit submissions)
- Ensure that Presbyterian College complies with federal and state regulations
- Review depreciation schedules
- Administer government online systems: G-5, Sam, Federal Clearinghouse, EZ Audit, etc.
- General Management
- Establish and maintain written accounting policies, procedures, and forms necessary to maintain compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), state & federal requirements, and internal control requirements
- Recruit (through HR), develop and assess the Business Office staff
- Draft or revise office operating procedures and job descriptions for staff
- Ensure that appropriate level of cross-training exists for all business office functions (including controller)
- Ensure that questions from parents, students, faculty and other staff are handled promptly and professionally
- Within area of responsibility, become familiar, remain current, and adhere to applicable NCAA rules, regulations and bylaws that govern working with student-athletes
- Other duties as assigned
Pursue professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information including maintaining up to date information about the department and college.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Seven (7) years of progressive accounting experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal professionally with students, parents, donors, faculty, staff, Leadership Team members, bankers and trustees
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Technical ability and willingness to share in the daily work of the office, including preparing and reviewing journal entries, querying databases and generating custom reports
- Experience with querying and report writing from a large database
- Ability to identify, hire, manage, develop, and empower members of the Business Office team
- Must possess the ability and desire to tackle complex business problems, build teams and foster communication within and across offices
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Experience working with college or university accounting
- Master’s degree in Business or related field
Work is performed under usual office conditions with long periods of working at a desk and in front of a computer screen. Work involves deadlines, interruptions, and handling multiple tasks.
Send cover letter, resume and list of three references including contact information to Presbyterian College Office of Human Resources, 503 S. Broad St., Clinton, SC 29325 or email materials to email@example.com .
The College seeks to hire the most qualified candidate and does not discriminate against any legally protected class.