Mary Weaver, secondary education student, goes on maymester trip to Germany and France

Mary-on-Maymester copyIn May 2015, Mary Weaver, a Mathematics major minoring in Secondary Education and English, traveled to Germany and France with the English and History Departments. The group arrived in Munich and traveled from there to Oberwesel and the Rhine and Mosel Valleys, while making their way to Paris. The English course entitled, “The Castle” focused on the role of castles in literature. Students studied several works, from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. The History course focused on Hitler’s rise to power and his life up to the overtake of Paris. Mary states, “One thing I learned from this experience was just how untrue cultural stereotypes can be. All of the German and French people we met were incredibly welcoming to us, which we greatly appreciated as none of us could effectively speak the language in either country. Germany and France were also very different from what I was expecting. This experience, as well as my other Maymester, was incredible and I am eternally grateful to PC for providing me with the opportunity to travel for school.”

« Learn more about the Education Department