Q&A with Jamila Labee, ’20, Senior History and Biochemistry Double Major

Why did you choose to come to PC?

When I was in my senior year of high school, I was unsure about where I wanted to go to college. I applied to schools all over the country, but when I toured PC, I fell in love with the school and the community.

Originally, I never saw myself attending a college that was smaller than my high school.  But deciding to come to PC was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

What made you interested in majoring in history?

I started at PC as a chemistry major and later changed to biochemistry, but I’ve always had a passion for history. I fell in love with the History Department after taking an introductory course with Dr. Campbell.

I was amazed at how personal and enthusiastic each professor was at approaching their lessons. They are very welcoming and want to share their passion for history with anyone willing to listen. My love for history and the level of expertise that the professors in this department have convinced me to add a major in history.

How would you describe your experience in PC’s History Department?

My experience has been nothing less than exceptional.

All of the professors are phenomenal and are truly passionate in their area of study. They are more than your average college professor. They are the type who invite their class to their homes and cook dinner for them, the type who are friends to the students as well as mentors, and the type who want to see their students succeed in life.

Some of my favorite PC memories are from when Dr. Nelson decided to have our night class at either House of Pizza or Jitters, a restaurant here in Clinton.

I also loved going on the Maymester trip to Germany, Austria, Poland, and the Czech Republic in the summer of 2018 with Drs. Wiecki, Harris, and Heiser.

What advice would you give to students considering coming to PC and majoring in history?

The best advice I could give to a potential history major would be to take at least one history class with all of the professors, don’t be intimidated by various areas of history you haven’t learned before, and never be afraid to ask questions.

The professors are experts in their fields and love to see students showing interest in what they’re teaching.