III. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria, and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- The tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests. Tuition fee does not cover the textbook expenses and tourist tickets.
- Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (usually double rooms). Students may also live off-campus upon application and receive permission from the host institutions. Students who live off-campus are entitled to accommodation allowance of 700 CNY per person/month paid on a monthly/quarterly basis from the host institutions.
- The living allowance is granted by host institutions on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students, and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within the stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be canceled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by the host institutions, the allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed by host institutions.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in program longer than one academic year.
IV. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis. For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
- For the application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (including the Confucius Institute at PC) are now working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
- Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
- Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form), a copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
The application deadlines are
- April 20 (for those commencing in July)
- June 20 (for those commencing in September)
- September 20 (for those commencing in December)
IV. Majors, Host Institutions & Admission
Recommending institutions and host institutions are responsible for issuing local enrollment guide and provide consultation, recommendation and registration services in accordance with this procedure.
The link to search host institutions: http://cis.chinese.cn/Account/AcceptShool