• You must officially declare a major before you can study abroad.
  • Speak with your academic advisor about how you plan to complete major and graduation requirements.
  • You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in order to be granted permission to study abroad. If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, a faculty committee will evaluate your application to determine whether an exception is warranted.
  • Students on academic or disciplinary probation or suspension, or with other serious disciplinary records, are not eligible for study abroad.
  • Semesters abroad are NOT COVERED by PC employee tuition remission or tuition exchange benefit programs.
  • Students with delinquent accounts are not eligible for study abroad.


  • For Fall semester or academic year: March 15th
  • For Spring semester: October 1st


  • If you do not have a passport, begin applying immediately – it can be a lengthy process. If you have a passport, make sure it is valid for at least six months beyond the end date of your program; if it is not, you should begin the renewal process immediately.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

  • Meet with a Financial Aid Representative to discuss the financial aid implications of studying abroad. PC aid may only be applied to Exchange Programs. Be sure to learn the financial logistics involved.
  • If you want to study abroad but are unsure how to afford the cost of travel, you may be applicable for many scholarships and fellowships that can help make your semester or year abroad an affordable reality.

Click on the links below to find a scholarship that fits you!

Application Checklist

*All students are required to apply online through the AbroadOffice system here.

  • Study Abroad Application
  • Statement of Purpose essay: Addressing the following questions (2-3 pages): What are your specific academic goals, and how do you plan to achieve them through participation in a study abroad program? Why are you interested in studying abroad in this particular country and on this particular program? How will your choice of major(s) impact your study abroad experience?
  • Two Faculty Recommendations: Recommendation forms should be completed by faculty members who can attest to your qualifications for successful completion of a program of study abroad.
  • Transcript: You must submit an Official Transcript Request Form to the Registrar. If you believe there is a need to explain any portion of your academic record (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, abnormally low grades), attach a separate sheet with the explanation.

Once you are Accepted

  • Letter of Approval – You must be selected to apply to a Presbyterian College Semester Abroad Program and be given a Letter of Approval to send your application materials to the university abroad. If you apply to a program without official approval from the Office of International Programs (OIP), your credits from the outside program may not transfer to PC.
  • Enrollment forms – These forms will be available to you once your application has been approved in the AbroadOffice system.
  • Study Abroad Program Fee – If you are accepted by the program for which you applied, you will be charged PC’s tuition and fees. Students are also responsible for a $300 program fee which will be billed to the student by PC. This fee is non-refundable. You are responsible for the application fee and any additional program costs such as airfare to the program site, visa fees, personal expenses, etc.
  • Study Abroad Insurance Fee – All PC study abroad students will be enrolled in PC’s international health insurance plan. Students are responsible for a $200 insurance fee which will be billed to the student by PC. This insurance is mandatory for all students studying abroad at PC.
  • PRE-DEPARTURE – Attend the mandatory pre-departure orientation before leaving campus. These are held in November and April. You will be contacted with specific dates.
  • Contact Information – It is extremely important that your promptly inform OIP of any change in mailing address, e-mail address, or telephone numbers (college, local, summer, or permanent).