Dr. Roy Campbell | Faculty Q&A

Dr. Roy Campbell | Faculty Q&A

History professor Dr. Roy Campbell talks about study abroad, the PC history department’s #1 ranking, and more in this Faculty Q&A.

What brought you here?

I was looking to teach at a liberal arts college, like my alma mater, as I strongly believe in this type of education.  Of all the schools I visited as future potential places to work, PC stood out far above the rest for its engaged students, excellent faculty and overall devotion to providing students with an excellent academic experience.

What keeps you here?

This is my 17th year at PC, and I’ve never looked back.  At PC I have the opportunity to teach a range of classes on China, India, and the Middle East, and I’m always encouraged by not only how interested the students are in learning about these areas of the world, but also the manner in which they fully embrace my discussion-style of teaching.  Students at PC welcome the opportunity to be intellectually engaged and challenged, which makes my role as the professor incredibly rewarding. Additionally, I’m exceedingly proud to be a part of PC’s history department. I have amazing colleagues, and, for six years straight, we have been named the #1 Best Value department in the country for students majoring in history by College Factual.

What makes PC special?

Faculty-led study abroad! PC is very unique in that we are one of only a handful of schools where students have the opportunity to go abroad with their professors.  I’ve been very fortunate to have led a number of these trips with colleagues to such amazing locations as Turkey, Israel, Egypt, New Zealand, China, Vietnam, Mexico, Morocco, Scotland, Vanuatu, Fiji and the Galapagos (just to name a few). These trips are often one of the highlights of a PC student’s experience, not just for the opportunity to visit a fascinating foreign country, but for the chance to bond with friends and professors during the trip.  Some students take multiple trips during their four years at PC, and many also come back to travel as alumni.

What should new students know?

PC does an exceptional job of preparing students not just for their future careers, but, even more importantly, for life.  I’m always amazed by what PC graduates are doing with their lives after graduation, and how much they credit PC for helping them find their direction for living a fulfilled life.

What is a Blue Hose?

PC students are as unique as our mascot!  Curious, adventurous, compassionate and involved, our Blue Hose distinguish themselves in all that they do while at PC, and after they graduate.

Visit Campus

Nothing replaces visiting campus and spending time with us. Check out our Visit Campus page to register for a Preview PC event.