Navigate / search

Old Bailey Stadium

Bailey Stadium pre-1935

The first football field on campus was added in 1913 at the cost of $1,000. It was located behind Leroy Springs Gymnasium. In 1924 the students built a track around the football field to model Harvard’s track. This early field was improved in 1928 and named Bailey Stadium in honor of a gift from W. J. Bailey. Bailey’s gift was meant to memorialize his son, William Cyrus Bailey, who was a member of the PC class of 1908. The first game in the new 3000-seat stadium was played against Mercer University in September of 1928.

In 1978 the Bailey Foundation funded additional renovations to the stadium, including an electronic scoreboard in the west end-zone and an amplification system. Ross Templeton and a group of alumni also donated money for improved seating at that time. The original stadium was replaced by “New” Bailey Stadium in 2002, and today the old stadium is primarily used for lacrosse matches.