Robert P. Adams, 1907-1910
Robert P. Adams was a graduate of the University of Georgia, Columbia Seminary, and Princeton Theological Seminary. At the time he became the eighth president of Presbyterian College, he was the pastor of the Laurens Presbyterian Church and had been serving as the chairman of the PC Board of Trustees.
During Adams’ tenure, Judd and Laurens Halls which were planned by W. G. Neville were completed. Presbyterians in Laurens contributed $7,000 toward the construction of Laurens Hall which would house 24 students. The college raised both its academic standards and its entrance requirements during this period. “Up until 1909, the curriculum offered a choice of ten courses leading to the BA degree and post-graduate work for the MA.” The BS degree was added to the curriculum upon the purchase of physical apparatus that year. (Hammet, Spirit of PC, 27)
During Adams’ tenure, “Regulations listed in the catalog indicate a tight rein by trustees and faculty. Membership in either of the literary societies was compulsory. Students also were required to attend the college’s daily devotional exercises as well as the Sunday services in local churches. No student was allowed to go more than two miles from the city limits without permission from the faculty. There were strict rules about remaining in rooms during the evening.” (Hammet, Spirit of PC, 27)
Dr. Adams resigned in 1910 to become pastor of Bethel Presbyterian Church in York County. He was replaced by Dr. A. E. Spencer, who served as interim president for one year. Rev. Adams died on August 8, 1930.