William G. Neville, 1904-1907
William G. Neville, a graduate of Adger College and Princeton Theological Seminary, had been a pastor at several South Carolina churches before becoming the president of Presbyterian College. He served twice on the Pan-Presbyterian Council in Washington, D.C. and London and had been a trustee of both Columbia Seminary and Davidson College.
During the first year of his presidency, the Synod of South Carolina voted that the college would remain in Clinton, so President Neville was able to concentrate on fundraising. A plan for a new administration building was developed; the building completed in 1907 would later be renamed Neville Hall in his honor in 1944. He also made plans for a new dining hall and a dormitory. Unfortunately, he was taken ill during commencement on June 5, 1907, and died three days later at the age of 51.
President Neville’s widow, Virginia, remained in Clinton after his death to raise their children. Six Neville sons and daughters received degrees from Presbyterian College, their noble service to Church missions and to PC continued the Neville tradition and was passed to a third generation.