Madison Smith '16

Madison Smith ’16

Madison Smith '16This May, Madison Smith graduated summa cum laude from Presbyterian College with a major in political science. Before she begins studying at the University Of South Carolina School Of Law in the fall, Smith is spending her summer working for S.C. Supreme Court Justice Kaye Hearn.

“This internship is putting me one step ahead for my future job and law school because I am able to complete work that is competitive with the same work that second- and third-year law students are completing. It is helping me obtain a greater understanding of legal jargon and legal reasoning,” Smith said about her summer internship.

She secured this internship after getting in contact with Justice Hearn on a school field trip to Columbia. “The amount of professors, faculty members, mentors, and friends who genuinely cared about my future and who put forth extensive efforts to help me achieve my goals is mind-blowing. I definitely could not have gotten my summer job or gotten into law school without all of the help from people at PC,” she said.

During her senior year at PC, Smith interned at the Chad A. Mitchell Law Firm in Laurens, S.C., an internship coordinated for her by the Career Development office. For this internship, she had the responsibilities of conducting legal research, handling confidential documents, and writing letters to the attorney’s clients. She also accompanied the attorney to court on multiple occasions.

“The Career Development office was a great help to me while I solidified my post-graduation plans. Ms. Lindquist and Mrs. Lane helped me get my resume in the best format for my applications. Mrs. Lane provided me with packets of information and useful websites on the LSAT and exploring law school options. Mrs. Downie set up the internship during my senior year that provided me with invaluable experiences for law school and, eventually, my job field. I can’t say enough about how helpful everyone was.”

« Back to Career Development and Student Success