The social and emotional concerns that occasionally occur in everyone’s life can bring about many questions and conflicts.

Such concerns make it difficult for us to function as well and as effectively as we would like.

There are many different reasons why people seek professional help. Often, people would like to learn how to be more effective and satisfied with their lives, increase their personal awareness, explore a deeper sense of meaning in life, improve their self-esteem, or enhance communication within a relationship.

Additionally, therapy can help with painful experiences such as anxiety, depression, alcohol or other drug problems, loneliness, guilt, feelings of inadequacy, conflicts related to one’s family, friends, roommates, romantic partners, grief and loss, disappointing academic and athletic performance, and current or past traumas – for example, rape, sexual assault or childhood abuse.

If you have an after-hours emergency, please call Campus Police at 864-833-8911, 911 or go to the Emergency Department of Laurens County Hospital.

How to Make a Referral

Inform the student that his/her concerns will be kept in the strictest confidence, and suggest that the student stop by Counseling Services to schedule an appointment.

  • Provide the student with our phone number, x8100, and our location at 120 E Calhoun St.
  • Reluctant students who you feel need to be seen often respond well if you offer assistance. For example, calling Counseling Services (x8100) with the student in your office both assures that contact is made and demonstrates your interest and support.
  • If the situation is an emergency, explicitly state that the student needs immediate attention when you call. Stay with the student or contact Campus Safety (x8301) or other Student Affairs staff, (such as Dr. Joy Smith, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students (x8275) if there is a threat of danger.
  • Sometimes it is useful or necessary for you to walk with the student to the Dean of Student Life in Springs Campus Center or Counseling Services on E. Calhoun St.
  • If you are concerned about a student but are uncertain about the appropriateness of a referral, feel free to call Counseling Services (x8100)  for a consultation.
  • You may also complete a Student of Concern form. Someone from Campus Life will follow-up with the student of concern within one business day.
  • If you have an after-hours emergency please call 911 or go to the Emergency Department of Laurens County Hospital.

The Health Services Center is located at 120 East Calhoun Street.