David ’66 and Nancy Welborn

David ’66 and Nancy Welborn

David Welborn ’66 gives Presbyterian College a great deal of credit for taking a 17- year-old boy from Easley and helping him mature into a responsible young man. More than 55 years later, that man is remembered for generously paying PC back.

Wellborn primarily enjoys helping younger generations of student-athletes receive the same benefits he received by giving to the Scotsman Club and supporting improvements to PC’s athletics facilities for baseball, softball, and soccer.

Two of David and Nancy Welborn’s children – Will Welborn ’91 and Elizabeth Welborn Mower ’96 – played soccer for the Blue Hose and understand the experience of being a PC student-athlete.

A retired former plant manager and process engineer for Milliken and Company, Welborn remembers being told in high school that he was amongst a handful of football players who had the grades to go to college and play for the Blue Hose. That handful went together and Welborn said he never regretted it.

“I fell in love with PC,” he said. “My professors and my coaches cared so much for us as individuals. They wanted you to be successful. At 17 years old, I wasn’t  that mature but PC helped me mature and I always appreciated that.”

In return, he said, “I always felt that it was my obligation to support PC. We have a responsibility to help others.”

Welborn has aimed his hobby – carpentry – towards new opportunities to serve others on a variety of mission trips where those skills are much needed and he continues to do his part supporting the college that nurtured his many gifts.