Loyal PC Alumnus Gives Largest Gift in College’s Division I History

Presbyterian College received a generous gift of $500,000 from loyal supporter and alumnus Tom Free ‘91. The gift has been given to support athletics initiatives and is the largest gift in the history of Division I athletics at PC.

In the 2019 academic year, PC added men’s and women’s wrestling, acrobatics and tumbling, and competitive cheer. During the 2020-21 academic year, 406 student-athletes represented Presbyterian College in the classroom and on the playing fields and courts. Blue Hose teams averaged a 3.17 GPA, which was slightly higher than the average GPA of non-athletes. In addition to academic successes, two teams competed in postseason play. Men’s tennis and baseball both won their Big South Conference championships and competed in the NCAA playoffs.

Said Free, “Over the past several years, PC has undergone a renaissance. I have watched as new programs and majors have been added to the College. Renovations and construction have taken place campus-wide, including a new residence facility complex. I chose to support athletics because Presbyterian College alumni and friends need to strengthen our commitment to the current and future student-athletes and coaches. We must provide the tools needed for success. Our student-athletes are an integral part of PC’s current and future success.”

Continued philanthropic support will provide opportunities to enhance existing and build new athletic facilities that are comparable to our NCAA Division I competition schools.

In May 2021, private philanthropic support and a grant from the City of Clinton provided funding for the installation of lights on the Blue Hose baseball field.