Presbyterian College’s most loyal athletic supporters leave their legacy for future Blue Hose athletes through endowed financial aid scholarships. Earnings from endowed scholarships provide vital financial support to deserving student-athletes. The availability of scholarships to support students allows PC to offer admissions to the most competitive applicants. The minimum endowment required before a scholarship fund’s earnings may be awarded is $25,000. A full-tuition scholarship for one student for one year requires an endowment of $750,000. Currently, 60 scholarships are endowed, or in the process of being endowed, for athletically related financial aid.

Please see additional frequently asked questions at the bottom of this page and for more information regarding the establishment of an endowed scholarship fund at the College, please contact Mike Smith, Assistant Athletic Director-Scotsman Club, at cmsmith@presby.edu or 864-833-8462

Adair/Crocker Scholarship Fund
Initiated in 1990 by Virginia Leaman Crocker and Claude Adair Crocker ’78 in honor of their parents, Mr. Claude Arthur Crocker ’50 and Mrs. Myra Adair Crocker. Mr. and Mrs. Crocker, both lifelong residents of Clinton, were close friends of PC. Mr. Crocker was employed with Clinton Mills and coached basketball for PC during the early 1950’s.

Isaac MacDonald Adair Scholarship Fund
Established in 2001 through a bequest made by Isaac MacDonald Adair ’30 in memory of his son, Herbert Franklin (Hub) Adair ’61 for student-athletes selected by the Athletic Director.

Adair Athletic Scholarship Fund
Established in 1992 through the estate of Oscar Duckett Adair for student athletes. Mr. Duckett’s two brothers, Mac and James, graduated from PC and their love for the college persuaded Mr. Adair to remember the school in his estate.

James F. and Katherine Lasley Adair Scholarship Fund in Athletics
Established in 1989 through the estate of James F. Adair ‘29 for student athletes.

Akers-Oliver Golf Scholarship Fund
Established in 1989 by Mr. and Mrs. William Akers, Jr., in memory of their  parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Akers and Mr. and Mrs. John E. Oliver for  students participating in the golf program. Mr. and Mrs. Akers are the  parents of two PC graduates, William Akers III, Class of 1966, and Dr. John  Oliver Akers, Class of 1970.

Amaya Tennis Scholarship
Established in 1993 by members of the Amaya Family, in particular PC alumni George Amaya ’71, Jaime Amaya Kierstead 71, and Juan Amaya ’70 for the men’s and women’s tennis teams.

C.W. Anderson Scholarship Fund
Established in 1963 by the C.W. Anderson Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. Gary Lehn, Dr. and Mrs. Dan Orr, Mr and Mrs. Harry Nettles, Mr. and Mrs. George Frady, and Dorothy Taylor for student athletes.

Putsy Silas Bailey Memorial Athletic Fund
Honoring the 1926 alumnus and textile leader, the Bailey Memorial Athletic Fund was established in 1981 by the Bailey Foundation. A three-year varsity member of PC Blue Hose football team, ‘Si’ was an enthusiastic supporter of PC. Mr. Bailey served as trustee of the college for nine years, and was awarded an Alumni Gold P for outstanding achievement in his chosen profession. Prior to his death in 1958, he was director of MS Bailey Bank and president, and treasurer of Clinton-Lydia Cotton Mills.  The fund supports the total athletic program.

Joseph L. and Helen Ragan Barnett Scholarship Fund
Established in 1959 by Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Barnett, Clyde Fabrics, Carolina Mills, and Perfection Spinning Company for student athletes with financial need.  Mr. Barnett served on the Presbyterian College Board of Trustees from 1956 to 1959.

Curtis Bell ’04 Scholarship Fund
Established in 2005 by his friends, Richard Grant Barkley (’03), Philip Thrasher Hauserman (’04), James Travis Hill (’04), Steven Heath McCutcheon (’03), Todd Jeremy Warren (’04), and Kevin Christopher White (’04), in his memory  for a student-athlete from South Carolina or Georgia who participates in the baseball program.

Augustus B. Blakely, Jr., Scholarship Fund
Established in 1971 by Mrs. Georgia Bee Blakely Young Thomason ‘34 and her daughter, Mrs. Georgia Young Cannon in memory of Mrs. Thomason’s father for student athletes.

David Pinckney Berry Memorial Scholarship Fund
Established in 1965 by David Pinckney Berry of Union, SC, and enlarged by Mrs. Berry for students participating in the tennis program.

H. L. “Papa” Crocker Scholarship Fund
Established in 1984 by Claude A. Crocker ’50 and Mrs. Myra Crocker in memory of his father for students serving as athletic trainers. “Papa” Crocker worked for Clinton Mills for many years.  Following his retirement, he worked with the Athletic Department caring for the athletes’ uniforms.

Glenda and Don Desern Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Cara Lynn and Christopher Cannon for members of the women’s soccer team.

A. King Dixon III Athletic Scholarship
Established by the Laurens County Touchdown Club.

Ernest W. and Elsie Ligon Evans and Family Scholarship Fund
Established in 1996 by Ernest W. Evans, Class of 1937, and Elsie Ligon Evans for students with financial need entering full-time church vocations or student athletes. Ernest “Hawk” Evans participated in baseball, football, and basketball at PC and served as a Second Lieutenant in WWII as a member of the 2nd Armed Division under then Colonel Patton.

Robert M. Edens Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Robert M. Edens ’77 for members of the men’s and women’s soccer teams.

John Harvey II and Laverne B Edwards Scholarship Fund
Established in 2011, the John Harvey II and Laverne B Edwards Scholarship Fund awards financial aid to a member of the Presbyterian College football team, when possible, dedicated toward an offensive lineman. John, a 1965 alumnus, and his wife, Laverne, served on the Board of Visitors from 1998 to 2001. Both Mr. Edwards and their son, John Harvey Edwards III, a 1994 graduate, played for the Blue Hose football team.

 

Field of Dreams Scholarship Fund
Established in 2004 by Dr. Harold Dean Thompson, Jr., a PC English Professor, for students with financial need participating in the baseball program.

Foley Family Football Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Mr. and Mrs. Sean P. Foley in honor of their son, Sean, for members of the PC football team majoring in biology, chemistry, or physics.

Dianne and Rut Galloway Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Dianne and Rut Galloway ’65, past members of the Board of Visitors and Board of Trustees. Awards from the scholarship shall be made to a member of the football team, preferably to a defensive back.

Coach Cally Gault Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by the family and friends of Calhoun F. Gault, retired athletic director and head football coach, in celebration of Coach Gault’s 80th birthday.

Harry R. Hamilton, Class of 1955, Scholarship Fund
Established in 2009 in honor of Harry R. Hamilton, Class of 1955, by his family and friends for the benefit of student athletes from Oconee County.   After graduating from PC, Harry served as a coach, teacher, and administrator at Seneca High School until his retirement in 1994.

Tommy and Leslie Hancock Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Tommy Hancock ’84 and his wife, Leslie S. Hancock. Awards from the scholarship shall be made to a member of the Presbyterian College football team, with preference given toward an offensive lineman.

James Graham Hayes Scholarship Fund
Established in 1966 by James Graham Hayes for student athletes.

Jamie Lavender-Hearsey Scholarship Fund
Established in 1995 by Jeffrey Hearsey in honor of his wife Jamie Lavender-Hearsey ’88. Awards from the scholarship shall be made to a member of the PC volleyball team or other female athlete who demonstrate need.

J. Madison and Katherine V. Hiers Scholarship Fund
Established in 2000 by J. Madison “Mat” Hiers, Class of 1939, and Mrs. Hiers of Rock Hill, SC, the scholarship will be awarded to students who exhibit academic and athletic excellence and when possible, a York County resident. Mat participated in football and track during his time at PC.

Joel and Tommy Hollis Scholarship Fund
Established by Thomas F. Hollis ’43 in 1989 for student athletes.

Dr. and Mrs. Harold P. Hope Scholarship Fund
Established in 1983 by Dr. and Mrs. Harold P. Hope, parents of Harold ’63 and Robert ’69, for students participating in the tennis program.

Coach and Mrs. Walter A. Johnson Scholarship Fund
In memory of Coach and Mrs. Walter A. Johnson and their daughter, Peggy Johnson McCarthy for student athletes.

Walter Johnson Scotsman Club Scholarship Endowment
Established in 1937 by Presbyterian College alumni and friends of Walter A. Johnson for student athletes.

Coach Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship Fund
Established in 2009 by the family, friends, and former players of Coach Frank Jones.  Frank Jones coached at PC for three seasons and took the Blue Hose to their first bowl game, the Tangerine Bowl on January 2, 1960.  This scholarship, given to a member of the PC football team with preference to linemen, honors the memory of Coach Frank Jones, and his accomplishments at Presbyterian College.

Frank ‘ 64 and Patricia King Scholarship Fund
Established in 2015 by Frank ‘ 64 in honor of his wife, Patti. Frank, a former teacher, coach, school superintendent and PC football player, established the King Scholarship with priority given to a Blue Hose football player.

David and Nan Lake D1 Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by David and Nan Lake, Class of 1983, former class agents and members of the Board of Visitors. Awards from the scholarship hall be made with preference to a Division 1 athlete, living on campus, and majoring in either Biology or Chemistry.

McDonnold Golf Scholarship Fund
Established in 1991 by Helen L. and Hexie McDonnold ’61 in honor of their children, Elizabeth McDonnold Twait ’85 and Stephen Key McDonnold ’87.

McDougald Athletic Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Douglas C. McDougald ’61, Mrs. Peggy McDougald, Jesse F. McDougald ’90 and Greer McDougald. Doug, a former member of the College Board of Visitors and Board of Trustees, and Jess, a former men’s golfer, establish the scholarship so that funds shall be distributed to any Presbyterian College athlete participating in varsity sports.

Donald T. McNeill Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Donald T. McNeill ’66, captain of the 1965 football team, with first preference to a member of the PC Football Team.

Edward D. and Doris Whitten Messer Scholarship Fund
Established in 1989 by former football and track athlete, Edward D. Messer ’59 and his wife, Doris Whitten Messer, of Decatur, Georgia, to be given to a Presbyterian College varsity athlete.

Noland Meyers II Student Trainer in Football Scholarship Fund
Established in 1985 by Mr. and Mrs. Alex B. Meyers in honor of their son.

Thomas H. and Suellen K. Milton Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Thomas H. Milton ’72 and Suellen K. Milton ’73 with first preference to a member of the PC Football Team and ROTC program. Both have served the College as members of the Board of Visitors and Tam, a member of the Board of Trustees.

Brent M. Morehouse Scholarship Fund
Established in 2006 by Brent Morehouse ’76, with funds distributed to Presbyterian College football players.

Albert Moreno Athletic Scholarship Fund
Established in 1990 by former football player, Albert Moreno ’39, to be distributed to athletes with financial need.

Morris Tennis Scholarship Fund
Established in 1995 by John Allen Morris, Jr. ‘56, and John Allen Morris III ’89, in  appreciation of the PC men’s tennis program and awarded at the discretion of  the Head Coach. Allen Morris ’56, returned to serve as Director of Athletics from  1994-2000. A standout tennis player while attending Presbyterian College, Morris  was an alternate on the United State Davis Cup teams from 1954-56.  In 1956 he  reached the apex of his career by attaining a 14th-place world ranking and  advancing to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.  He later won singles championships in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and New York.  He  won the United States Senior Clay Court Championships both in 1977 and 1978,  when he ranked second in the nation and ninth in the world in senior men’s  singles.

Elliott Poss Scholarship Fund
Funded through the estate of Elliot Poss ’71, his family, friends, and classmates.  Dr. Poss was captain of the PC football team as a student and later became assistant coach and head coach of the team.

William Keith Richardson Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by H. Stanley Reid, M.D. ’74 in honor of Mr. Richardson ’64, in recognition of his time as coach at Woodruff and Clinton High Schools. Awards from the scholarship shall be made with first preference to a Clinton or Woodruff High School student athlete.

William Miller Roberts Memorial Award Fund
Established by Dr. and Mrs. John K. Roberts in 1977 in memory of their son for juniors or seniors who participate in the tennis program.

James Monroe Seagle Scholarship Fund
Established in 1994 through the estate of Madge S. O’Cain in memory of her brother for athletic scholarships.

James M. Singleton Scholarship Fund
Established in 2006 by James “Mackie” Singleton of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Mackie, a Presbyterian College alumnus, Class of 1967, currently serves Presbyterian College as a member of the Board of Trustees. Awards from the scholarship shall be made to Presbyterian College student athletes with financial need.

Lillis B. & Thomas Gerald Smith, Sr. Scholarship Fund
Established in 2009 by Lillis and Jerry Smith of Greenville, South Carolina for members of the Presbyterian College football team with first preference given to offensive lineman. Jerry, class of 1950, and Lillis were members of the PC Board of Visitors.

Alan Richard and Ronda M. Smith Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 for members of the PC Football Team with first preference to  defensive lineman. Alan ’77, a former defensive lineman and  captain, and Ronda  served on the Board of Visitors from 1995 to 1998. Their children, Will ‘03, Jackson  ’13 and daughter, Megan ’06, are graduates of Presbyterian College.

The Gayla M. and Steven M. Smith Scholarship Fund
Steve ’84 and Gayla ’85, former basketball player and cheerleader respectively, parents of Marshall Smith ’13, established the Gayla M and Steven M Smith Scholarship in 2010 with awards contributing toward financial needs of a men’s basketball player.

Coach Bob Strock Athletic Scholarship Fund
Established in 2001 by Dr. William E. Wilson ‘85 and merged with the Robert Berry Strock Scholarship Fund, established by Claude Adair Crocker ’78 and Alan Richard Smith ’77, in 2007 to honor Robert Berry Strock who served PC as coach and teacher from 1969-1997.

John and Ferol Stroud Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by John ’76 and Ferol Stroud of Greenwood, South Carolina. John and Ferol are strong advocates for PC’s D1 transition and awards from the scholarship shall be to a football player with first preference toward a defensive lineman.

Ross E. Templeton Scholarship Fund
Awarded to student-athletes, established in 1965 by Ross E. Templeton, Class of 1924, of Clinton, South Carolina. Templeton Physical Education Center is also named in honor of Mr. Templeton who was a devoted follower of PC athletics.  Mr. Templeton also provided the press box for the football stadium and the football dressing room facility. Ross, also a parent of an alum, served on the Board of Trustees.

Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Thompson Scholarship Fund
Established in 1962 by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Thompson of Atlanta, GA, is awarded to student athletes or students preparing for the ministry.

John T. Young, Georgia Bee Blakely Young Thomason Scholarship Fund
Established in 1991 by Georgia Bee Blakely Young Thomason in memory of her husband John T. Young and by Georgia Bee Young Cannon in memory of her father and in honor of her mother.

Marjorie and Bruce M. Thompson Scholarship Fund
Established in 2009 by the family of Mr. Bruce M. Thompson, Class of 1957, of Waterloo, South Carolina, for Presbyterian College students who are members of the men’s or women’s basketball teams.

Billy Tiller Scholarship Fund
Established in 1976 by the family, friends, and colleagues in memory of Billy Tiller, awarded to football athletes with exemplary attitudes and accomplishments.  Mr. Tiller was a beloved football coach and his widow, Mrs. Ruth Coleman, is a 1965 alumnus.

Robert Michael “Mike” Turner Scholarship Fund
Established by Robert Michael Turner ’48, former President of The Walter Johnson Club, with awards from the scholarship made to a member of the football team, preference going to a lineman. Mike is a parent and grand parent of alumnus and was a member of the football and basketball teams.

Emily Kent Walton Rogers Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Frank E. Walton ’48 in honor of his daughter.  Mr. Walton ‘48, a cheerleader while a student, served Presbyterian College as a member of the Board of Visitors and Board of Trustees. Awards from the scholarship shall be made with first preference to any student of scholastic and athletic promise.

Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Yonce, Jr., Scholarship Fund
Established by Larry L. Yonce ‘67 and J. W. Yonce III in 1974 for student athletes from Edgefield County in honor of their parents. The Yonces are former board of trustees, board of visitors, and parents of PC alumnus.

Nina and Larry Yonce Scholarship Fund
Established in 2007 by Nina and Larry Lewis Yonce ’67, of Johnston, South Carolina.  Mr. and Mrs. Yonce have served Presbyterian College as past members of the Board of Visitors.  Awards from the scholarship shall be made with first preference to a member of the football team.

What is an endowed scholarship?

Endowed scholarships are funds established by individuals, families, or groups of donors (such as alumni reunion classes) to provide continual aid to Presbyterian College students who have general financial need or who meet established criteria. Endowed scholarships may be named in someone’s honor—for example, a friend, coach, or loved one.Those who establish or significantly contribute to an endowed scholarship may be kept informed of the scholarship fund’s status through an annual report. When a scholarship is fully funded, donors receive information about student recipients, which helps to convey the real, immediate, and ongoing impact of the scholarship.

What does it mean to “endow” a scholarship?

When a donor establishes an endowed scholarship fund, the gift amount is retained in perpetuity and cannot be spent; the revenue from the endowed scholarship fund provides annual awards to students on a continual basis. Student awards equal a percentage of an endowed scholarship fund’s weighted average of past valuations. Any earning in excess of the student award is reinvested into the scholarship fund, allowing awards to keep pace with the rate of inflation. While each endowed scholarship is accounted separately, each scholarship fund’s balance is commingled with other college endowment funds, increasing its potential for investment return while further strengthening its investment potential.

How are endowed scholarships awarded?

The Financial Aid office distributes these awards according to the award level of each fund and the student recipient’s need. The fewer restrictions placed on endowed scholarships provide the greatest flexibility for helping students with financial need. Distributions from restricted endowed scholarships are made according to the specified requirements of each fund. For example, an endowed scholarship might be restricted to a specific sport, athletes within the English major, or residents of South Carolina. The Financial Aid office consults with the Athletic Department to seek qualified student recipients. If eligible recipients cannot be found, award income is either held over until the following academic year or reinvested back into a restricted endowed scholarship’s fund.

How can I set up an endowed scholarship?

Endowed scholarships may be initiated with a gift of any amount and a signed agreement outlining the terms of the endowed scholarship. Endowed scholarships are frequently funded by gifts of cash, but they may also be funded by transfers of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and even in some cases, gifts of real estate. Gifts toward endowed scholarships are also frequently established and enhanced through a bequest.