Dustin Kerns Named Head Coach at Appalachian State

Dustin Kerns, who just completed his second season as head men’s basketball coach at Presbyterian College, has accepted the same position at Appalachian State. The 18th coach in PC men’s basketball history, Kerns becomes App State’s 22nd. A national search for PC’s next head coach will begin immediately.

“I’ll be forever grateful and indebted to Presbyterian College, the community and alumni,” said Kerns. “I feel like the program has made great strides in the past two years, but that the best is still yet to come. I want to personally thank President Bob Staton for giving me and my family this opportunity and to Danny Sterling and his staff for their continued support. The time at PC is now and this place has an exciting future. There won’t be a bigger fan cheering on the Blue Hose than me. Go Blue Hose!”

Kerns took a team that won five games the year before he was hired to a team that recorded its most wins in Division I history. The 20 wins were the most since 2011-12 when the Blue Hose finished with 14. PC’s nine conference wins tied for the most in Division I, while the 12 home wins eclipsed the old DI mark of nine.

“Coach Kerns did an outstanding job as head coach while at PC,” said PC Director of Athletics Danny Sterling. “In just a short time, he represented PC with excellence in every way, and we will always be indebted to him for what he has been able to accomplish here. He laid an impressive and solid foundation for a strong future and we wish him only the best at Appalachian State.”

“We’re excited for the future of Presbyterian College men’s basketball as we have an outstanding group of young men coming off a tremendous and historic season and who are already preparing for what should be another great year.”

For media inquiries, contact Simon Whitaker at 843-475-1129 or by email at swhitaker@presby.edu.