Head Tennis Coaches to Pursue Other Interests

On Thursday, the Presbyterian College Athletic Department announced the resignation of Steve Brooks, women’s tennis head coach, and Patrick Fediuk, men’s tennis head coach.

Fediuk, who will become the head academy coach at Smith Stearns Tennis Academy in Hilton Head, S.C., graduated from PC in 2009.

“The hardest part is leaving my guys,” added Fediuk. “They are as good of a group as you will find in college tennis. As I told them, the program is in great hands largely because of the players in that locker room.

“They have brought out the best in me as a coach and as a person, and Nicole and I will miss them dearly. We are just so thankful and full of gratitude to even have had this opportunity.”

Fediuk joined PC in 2014 as an assistant coach for the men’s and women’s tennis teams. In his second season as men’s tennis coach, PC won the Big South Championship and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. Six Blue Hose were named to the All-Big South Team as well.

During Fediuk’s tenure, several players earned Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Big South Freshman of the Year honors.

This past season, Fediuk coached the team to a 5-3 conference record, earning the fourth seed in the Big South Championship. Leading the way for the Blue Hose were Big South Freshman of the Year Max Benson and All-Conference team members Oscar Alvarez and Daniel Stenger.

Brooks served as women’s tennis coach this past spring for the Blue Hose.

The Blue Hose went 7-2 in conference play this season to earn the #2 seed and a first-round bye in the Big South Championship. Katie Thompson was named league Scholar Athlete of the Year, while Tracy Johnson and Sydney Patton were named to the All-Conference first team in doubles. Thompson and Beth Taylor were named to the second team in doubles, with Patton and Taylor earning spots on the second team in singles.

PC had five players with 10+ singles wins: Taylor totaled 15 victories, Thompson tallied 12, and Patton, Samantha Calais, and Jessica Leeman each had 10.

In doubles action, PC saw a pair of duos go undefeated against conference opponents. Patton and Johnson went 5-0 on court one when facing Big South teams and were 7-3 overall as a pair. Taylor and Thompson were 7-0 against conference foes and 12-1 for the season, all on court three.

“I would like to thank PC for all that they have done for me and my family,” said Fediuk. “It has been such a special place for me personally, and to be able to share that with both Nicole and now John is something I will cherish forever.”

New tennis coaches will be announced soon.