If you think you know a student in distress, first let the student know that his or her concerns will be kept in the strictest confidence. Then, suggest that the student stop by Counseling Services to schedule an appointment.
Here’s what else you can tell the student:
- Provide the student with our phone number, 864-833-8263, and our location at 506 South Broad Street.
- Reluctant students who you feel need to be seen often respond well if you offer assistance. For example, calling Counseling Services with the student in your office assures that contact is made and demonstrates your interest and support.
- If the situation is an emergency, explicitly state that the student needs immediate attention when you call. Stay with the student or contact Campus Safety (x8301) or other Student Affairs staff, such as Dr. Joy Smith, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students (x8275), if there is a threat of danger.
- Sometimes it is useful or necessary for you to walk with the student to the Dean of Student Life in Springs Campus Center or Counseling Services in the Alumni House on 506 South Broad Street.
- Please call Counseling Services (x8100) for a consultation if you are concerned about a student but are uncertain about the appropriateness of a referral.
- You may also complete a Student of Concern Form. Someone from Campus Life will follow up with the student of concern within one business day.
- If you have an after-hours emergency, please call 911 or go to the Emergency Department of Laurens County Hospital.