Dr. Monica Keen named director of Occupational Therapy Doctoral program

Dr. Monica Keen, new director of PC Occupational Therapy Doctoral Program

Dr. Monica Keen
Director
PC Occupational Therapy Doctoral Program

Presbyterian College announced today that Dr. Monica (Moni) Keen has been chosen as the new director for the college’s Occupational Therapy Doctoral program.

Keen joined the program’s staff in 2021 as an adjunct instructor and is currently an associate professor and the capstone coordinator for the professional doctoral program. She begins her new duties on Jan. 1.

PC president Dr. Anita Gustafson noted that the national search for a director led the college to the ideal candidate.

“Dr. Keen brings a wealth of experience, knowledge, and talent to her new role,” Gustafson said. “Let me emphasize how proud I am of this program and its past accomplishments. Dr. Keen’s dynamic leadership will mean even greater success for PC students and alumni in the future.”

In 34 years of occupational therapy experience, including 27 years working in special education in schools, Keen said she discovered a passion for teaching future occupational therapists.

“I have been honored to work in a variety of settings,” she said, “however, I found my niche in school-based practice, working in special education. Mental health is very important to me, as well, and my research revolves around this topic. My passion for OT motivated me to further my degree in order to teach future practitioners.

“I bring 33 years of clinical practice into the classroom and strive to breathe life into lectures recalling life-changing interactions with so many amazing people, children, caretakers, administrators, teachers, and doctors. It is my prayer that my passion for OT is felt in the classroom, in meetings, and in collaboration with others.”

A 1989 graduate of the Medical University of South Carolina with an undergraduate degree in rehabilitation science, Keen earned her master’s degree from Boston University and a clinical doctorate from the University of St. Augustine in Florida.

Keen has served professionally as an occupational therapist at MUSC, LOGOS Rehabilitation in North Charleston, Professional Rehabilitation in Easley, Coastal Therapy Services in Mt. Pleasant, and the Berkeley County and Dorchester County District Two school districts. From 2010-2022, she was the owner and president of Developing Abilities Children’s Therapy Services LLC in Summerville.

Before joining the faculty at PC, Keen’s teaching career included stints at MUSC, Trident Technical College, Baylor University, and the University of St. Augustine.

College provost Dr. Kerry Pannell said that she celebrates the opportunity to promote Dr. Keen into the director position from within the program.

“Moni has been an outstanding faculty member and capstone coordinator, completely dedicated to the success of our OT students,” Pannell said. “She is a brilliant educator, well-positioned to take over this director role.”

Pannell noted that current interim OT program director Cindy Erb will continue at PC in her role as faculty member.

“I am grateful for Dr. Erb’s wise management of the accreditation process and her strong service as interim director,” she said.

Keen holds licensed occupational therapist licenses in South Carolina and Texas and is certified by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. She has been a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association since 1989 and is a frequent speaker and presenter statewide and nationally. In 2011, she authored a chapter on handwriting for the book Pediatric Skills for Occupational Therapy Assistants, and in 2019, she wrote a chapter on infant mental health and school-based mental health for the title Psychosocial Occupational Therapy.

On campus, Keen is an active member of the college’s committees on Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, Presby First+, and the James H. Thomason Library.

“As I step into this new role, my vision enlarges to sharing my dedication to this profession with the campus, programs, and students of Presbyterian College,” Keen said. “Intercollegiate collaboration is key and I am excited to meet and work with the many amazing departments across this beautiful campus. I am very excited to get started! Go Blue Hose!”

To learn more about the Presbyterian College Occupational Therapy Doctoral program, visit the program page.