Presbyterian College's JEDI division welcomes Janna Barnes as accessible education coordinator and deputy Title IX coordinator

Presbyterian College’s JEDI division welcomes Janna Barnes as accessible education coordinator and deputy Title IX coordinator

Janna Barnes is Presbyterian College's accessible education coordinator.

Janna Barnes
Accessible Education Coordinator
Deputy Title IX Coordinator

Presbyterian College has welcomed Janna Barnes to its Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion division as the accessible education coordinator and deputy Title IX coordinator.

“We are so blessed to have Janna join Presbyterian College’s mission to serve students and create a welcoming, nurturing, and empowering environment for all,” said Dr. Selena Blair, the Rogers-Ingram Vice President for JEDI. “She is a dedicated counselor and mentor and I’m confident she will shine brightly in her new role here at PC.”

Barnes served as the American Sign interpreter, assistive technology specialist, captionist, and Section 508 compliance advisor at Greenville Technical College since 1998. In her various roles, she helped students receive the accommodations they require to succeed.

She also understands firsthand the challenges students face, especially those who are disabled or have special needs.

“I personally have a disability myself, so I understand how hard it is to go through the educational system and not have the resources you need,” Barnes said. “I had to teach myself how I learn so that I could then help others to learn the way they learn best.”

Starting out of college as an American Sign Language interpreter, Barnes later learned more about Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, autism, blindness, and other disabilities students may face.

“I reached out to the different populations and said, teach me,” Barnes said. “Tell me what you can do and teach me how you learn. Tell me what kinds of accommodations have worked for you in the past so we can tweak them a little and help you focus on what will help you to be the most successful person that we all know you can be.”

Barnes said she feels an immediate kinship with the people she has met at PC so far.

“When I came for my interview, I immediately felt like I could breathe,” she said.

But helping students is undoubtedly the most gratifying part of Barnes’ new job.

“One of my duties at Greenville Tech was to interpret for commencement,” she said. “Every year, I would see the students that I helped go across the stage. That is one of the best feelings in the whole world to watch those students walk across the stage and receive their degree knowing the struggles they’ve had.”

Barnes began her educational career in sign language studies at Palomar Community College in Vista, Calif., before earning her associate’s degree in interpreter education from Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, N.C.

In 2005, she completed captionist training from the RIT National Institute of Technology in Rochester, N.Y. In 2009, she earned an associate’s degree in human services, with certificates in mental health and substance abuse, from Greenville Tech. She also completed another associate’s degree from Greenville Tech in 2017 and recently completed her bachelor’s degree from Bob Jones University.