Q&A WITH MAYA REYES, ’24, SENIOR HISTORY MAJOR WITH POLITICAL SCIENCE AND BIOLOGY MINORS

Headshot of Maya ReyesWhy did you choose to come to PC?
I chose to come to PC because as soon as I stepped on campus, I felt the sense of community that I was looking for in my home-away-from-home. The small class sizes and welcoming professors made me feel like I would thrive here academically.

What made you interested in majoring in history?
I have always enjoyed learning about history but decided on a history major after taking a class with Dr. Campbell my freshman year. He brought history to life for me and I could see myself continuing to enjoy taking more history courses at PC. Studying history has helped provide the perfect context for current events. This is important as I am also striving for a career in law. The history courses at PC have been the perfect way to develop my skills in research and writing that will be vital in my career path.

How would you describe your experience in PC’s History Department?
My experience in PC’s History Department has been the most amazing part of my undergraduate career. I have been able to develop personal relationships with my professors and peers which has provided a network of connections and opportunity. I feel honored to be a part of a department that cares for their students on all levels. I will continue to brag about the PC History Department after I graduate.

What advice would you give to students considering coming to PC and majoring in history?
I would advise students considering a major in history to be open minded to learning about all topics and periods of history. I started my history major believing that I was really only interested in one area but have truly enjoyed learning about topics from all areas of the world and across varying time periods.