Student Lives the Motto

Student Lives the Motto

PC student spends his summers helping children with needs

Some of our students are so into living out our College motto, “While We Live, We Serve,” they volunteer year round. Even during the summer.

Rising senior Trey Counterman serves as a counselor at Victory Junction, a camp for children with special needs in Randleman, N.C. Legendary race car driver Richard Petty and his son, Kyle, founded the camp in memory of Kyle’s son, Adam, who died in a racing accident when he was 19 years old.

Victory Junction provides experiences for children with serious medical conditions. Campers attend for free.

“Victory Junction is a medically safe camp, however an exciting camp, where children can challenge themselves and try things that they never thought imaginable,” Trey said. “Once these amazing children pass through the gates, the fun begins, and they do not have to worry about their disease, illness, or disability.”

Trey’s brother, Barrett, has cerebral palsy and started going to Victory Junction in 2014. Trey fell in love with the camp the very first time he and his parents took Barrett there. Trey told his mother and brother right then he wanted to be a counselor.

Trey served as a sports and rec counselor during his brother’s last year at Victory Junction. Barrett aged out in 2016, but Trey kept coming back.

He saw the difference the camp made in his brother’s life and he wants to do the same for others.

“Working with these amazing campers has shaped me to be a better person and instilled in me valuable life lessons that I’ll cherish my entire life,” he said.

This summer, Trey is serving as part of the Victory Junction Summer Leadership Team. He supports the summer staff and has a host of other duties from helping with outdoor activities to assisting campers and volunteers.

Trey says he wants to continue the same kind of work after PC.

“Working at Victory Junction has allowed me to do what I’m passionate about,” Trey said. “After I graduate from PC, I plan to help the special needs community in any way I can.”