- Explore your personality, work interests, values, and skills through assessments on PathwayU to be matched with potential majors at PC.
- Complete the O*NET Interest Profiler and discuss your results with a Career Development member to reflect on career interest preferences
- Look at the What Can I Do with this Major? pages and meet with a Career Development member to reflect on possible majors and career interests
- Research careers that fit your interests, skills, and values using O*Net Online.
- Seek opportunities to get involved on campus through student organizations and/or volunteer service to build skills and further identify career interests
- Read about majors, course descriptions and requirements in the College of Arts & Sciences Academic Catalog for your year and discuss options with your academic adviser
- Contact a Career Development member to complete the online Strong Interest Inventory or Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to further delve into your interests and personality preferences
Career Action Plan
DECIDE: Explore majors and learn about career paths
- Continue to complete actions as suggested in the INQUIRE section.
- Arrange informational interviews and job shadowing experiences with alumni and other professionals to learn about job duties and skill requirements.
- Seek leadership roles in campus organizations.
- Attend career panels and networking events to further gain information to make career decisions.
- Create an account with the Tartan Network, PC’s online job board system, to peruse types of job openings.
- Declare or change your major by completing a Declaring Your Major form.
ENGAGE: Get experience. Build connections with employers and alumni
- Obtain internships, cooperative education jobs, part-time jobs and/or volunteer experiences related to your career interests to build your skills and confirm career decisions.
- Attend career events to meet employers and alumni to learn about career paths in a variety of organizations and industries.
- Build and polish your marketing materials: résumé, cover letter, portfolio and LinkedIn profile.
- Record, review, and retry interviews and receive expert interview advice on demand with over 7000 pre-recorded interview questions using Interview Stream.
- Watch career-related videos on topics ranging from job interviewing to networking located in the Tartan Network.
- Conduct informational interviews and/or job shadowing with potential employers and/or alumni to learn more about specific jobs and work environments.
- Get the inside scoop about working at the different organizations.
- Research graduate school options, take entrance exams and prepare applications materials if continuing education.
ACHIEVE: Pursue jobs, graduate school, or service opportunities
- Meet with a career development member to learn how to search for jobs and to create a targeted list of potential employers.
- Develop a master résumé targeted to specific opportunities and industries.
- Complete a mock interview with a career development member to be prepared for job interviews.
- Meet with a career development member to learn how to negotiate salary and to evaluate a job offer.
- Continue to connect with employers and alumni using social media and at career events including informational interviews; join professional associations.
- Use LinkedIn to FIND ALUMNI and JOIN GROUPS to expand your network.
- Finalize graduate school options, research financial aid and consider options.