Declaring a Major

A Program of study leads to a Bachelor of Arts and/or Bachelor of Science degree. It has three parts:

  • General Education
  • Specialized Study: Major (required) and Minor (optional)
  • Electives

Declaring a Major

In order to graduate, you must complete the requirements for at least one major. When you first enroll, your major is ‘Undeclared.’ You should declare your major by the end of your sophomore year; you must do it by the end of fall term of your junior year. When you are ready to declare a major:

  • Find a faculty member who agrees to be your major advisor.  He/she must be in the major department, and therefore will likely be different from your current advisor.  If that is the case, see the procedure for changing your advisor.
  • Find the Major Form for your major and print it. It lists the classes that you need to take for the major. DO NOT write within the form. DO NOT record grades on the form. DO NOT make any course adjustments on the form. Any substitution to this program of study requires advanced written approval from the Department Chair and must be on file in the Registrar’s Office PRIOR to completion of the substitution.
  • You and your major advisor must sign the Major Form.
  • Bring the ORIGINAL signed Major Form (and the Change of Advisor form, if necessary) to the Registrar’s Office.

Please note

Major and minor forms are specific to the catalog year in which the student declares.
If a student declares a major, drops it, then wants to re-declare it in a later term, the student must declare under the new academic catalog year.
If a student declares a major, withdraws from the college and then returns, the student must declare that major under the academic catalog year in which the student returns.

To check whether your Major Form has been processed, you can do one of the following:

  • Go to BannerWeb and look at your transcript. The major (and minor, if you have one) is listed at the top left side. Or, look at the Registration Information.
  • Go to Degree Works to view your major.
  • Call the Registrar’s Office at ext. 8201, and ask.
  • Send an email to

Declaring a Minor

A minor is optional but often useful.  Declaring a minor is similar to declaring a major (see above): find a minor advisor, find the appropriate Minor Form, print it, get signatures, and bring it to the Registrar’s Office.

Changing a Major or Minor

To change your major or minor, go through the above procedure for the new major or minor, and when you submit the Major or Minor Form, tell the Registrar’s Office that you want to drop the old major or minor.

If you have other questions, you may email them to or call extension 8201.