Veterans’ Benefits

The Registrar’s Office is available to assist VA students in using their veteran affairs benefits at Presbyterian College.

The Office provides assistance in matters relating to applying for benefits, certification of enrollment, and transmitting necessary enrollment information to the proper VA regional office.

The Registrar is not a part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Veteran Benefits Administration, or employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class.

Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to us E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case manager issues it to the school.

  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.


All Benefits

  • All students must submit a Certification Request after registration for each semester they intend to receive VA payments.
  • Only courses that are degree requirements can be certified
  • Online remedial courses are prohibited from being certified for VA benefits
  • Inform us of ANY registration changes so we can report in a timely manner and advise you of the impact.
  • Effective spring 2022, Chapter 33 students must verify their enrollment status each month to continue to receive their monthly housing allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments. You should receive notice from the VA with instructions on how to verify your enrollment, either through text message, email, or telephone. For more information, click on this link: Monthly Enrollment Verification.

Post 9/11, Fry Scholarship & Voc Rehab

  • Once the add/drop deadline has ended and charges are solidified, tuition and fees will be reported to the VA
  • Voc Rehab will be paid by your counselor when they are invoiced after add/drop by the Bursar’s Office

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30 & 1606)

  • You must verify your enrollment with the VA
  • Verify the last day of the month to release payment
  • Call 1-877-823-2378 or visit A.V.E. to verify enrollment

Applying for Benefits

  • Eligible students should submit a VA Benefits application online.
    • Once the application is received, it takes approximately 4-6 weeks to receive a letter of eligibility.
    • A copy of this letter should be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office to be included in your VA file.

Students participating in the Chapter 33 program based upon transfer of benefits from another individual should complete the transfer of benefits process before completing the VA Benefits application.

Benefit Eligibility

The Montgomery G.I. Bill® provides educational benefits to individuals who first entered active duty after June 30, 1985. Certain Reserve and National Guard participants may also be included.

The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2011, individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days or the dependents of qualifying military personnel who qualify for transfer of benefits. Candidates must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible.

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program provides educational assistance to children and spouses of veterans who are 1) permanently or totally disabled due to a service-related condition or 2) those who have died while on active duty as a result of a service related condition.

Detailed information can be found on the VA’s Education Benefits website.


Students are certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs after they have registered for courses for a given term. Once received, the minimum processing time by the VA is 4-6 weeks. For new students, this time may be longer.

Beginning with Fall 2021, students under Chapter 33 will be certified twice:
The initial certification submitted before the semester begins will contain enrollment hours with zero tuition and fees. The second certification will be submitted after the drop/add deadline and will contain enrollment hours along with tuition and fees.


In order for students to receive VA payment for coursework, each registered class must fit into their declared program of study. The courses listed for General Education and for the major in the Presbyterian College Catalog, are the official lists of courses covered under VA educational benefits. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that their registered classes meet the VA certification requirements if payment is desired. Charges for any courses taken outside of the students’ program of study are the student’s responsibility.

Degree-Seeking and Undecided Majors

VA Educational benefits are to be used to accomplish a defined educational objective. All VA students must declare a VA approved degree program. First and second-year students who have not decided on a major will be classified as “undeclared major.” These students will follow the General Education requirements and not exceed 59 credit hours. The College is required by the Department of Veterans Affairs to discontinue any undeclared majors beyond the second year.

Transfer Work

Official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education attended must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. The Department of Veterans Affairs requires the College to officially report all prior higher education credits completed that can be applied towards the student’s degree program.

VA Check Receipt (Chapter 30, 35, 1606, & 1607)

The average processing time for VA check receipt is 4-6 weeks after the semester begins. Checks for new students may take longer to receive. The student is responsible for all tuition, fee, room, and board payments to Presbyterian College that may be due before the student receives the VA checks during a given semester. Therefore, VA checks serve as a source of reimbursement to the VA student. It is important the students make the necessary arrangements for meeting their financial obligations with the Business Office or through the Office of Financial Aid.

VA Check Receipt for Chapter 33 Recipients

VA payments for tuition and fees charged to the student’s account will be sent directly to the school. The VA will send the stipend for books and supplies directly to the student. Students are responsible for any fees not covered by the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®. It is important that students make the necessary arrangements for meeting their financial obligations with the Business Office or through the Office of Financial Aid.

VA Payments

The amount of assistance VA students receive VA educational benefits varies by program. A payment amount of information is provided by the VA Regional Office at 1.888.GI.BILL.1.

Changes to Post 9/11 Tuition and Fee Debt for Drops and Withdrawals

On January 24th, the VA notified institutions of new legislation that was signed into law earlier this month: Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 [Public Law 116-315:

Section 1019 of this legislation, effective immediately, changes how the VA administers debts for tuition and fee payments made to the school for beneficiaries that drop or withdraw from classes. Previously, when a student dropped or withdrew after the first day of the semester the VA would notify the student that there was a tuition and fee overpayment for the course/s that were dropped or withdrawn from and that it was the responsibility of the student to repay the VA for reducing credits hours.

What has changed: 

This is now the responsibility of the school to repay the tuition and fees that were paid by the VA.  The school must return payment to the VA for courses dropped after the 100% refund period or withdrawn from and the student will now be responsible for paying the school the tuition and fees for the courses dropped or withdrawn from. 

Book stipend and monthly housing allowance debts that are due to drops or withdrawals will still be the student’s responsibility to pay back to the VA. Section 1019 only changes the tuition and fee debt procedure. Essentially, the VA has made the school the debt collector for tuition and fees and puts the burden on the student to pay the school.

For withdrawals or administrative withdrawals that are due to extenuating circumstances (VA Mitigating Circumstances) or for first time withdraws, up to 6 credit hours, the VA will take that into account and a debt would be avoided or reduced. In these instances we would also encourage a tuition and fees appeal in the instances a debt is established.

What this means for the student: There will need to be more careful consideration when reducing credits after the 100% drop deadline or submitting for a withdrawal without extenuating circumstances. The VA has more debt repayment options than we do as a school so we would discuss available options, such as a payment plan, should the decision to withdraw occur.


VA Certifying Official for Presbyterian College
Ms. Vicky Wilson, Registrar and Director of Records
Phone: 864.833.8219

VA Atlanta Regional Office
P.O. Box 100022
Decatur, GA 30031
Phone: 888.GI.BILL.1

VR Regional Office
Vocational Rehabilitation
25 Varday Street, STE 102
Greenville, SC 29601
Phone: 864.271.5079

P.O. BOX 409028
Denver, CO 80206
Phone: 800.733.8387

Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors (REPS)
400 South 18th Street
Saint Louis, MO 63103
Phone: 314.589.9803