The College’s Policy & Procedures on Student Complaints

Presbyterian College

Any student filing a complaint or grievance (excluding complaints concerning sexual misconduct) must first attempt to resolve the issue by consulting with the involved faculty or staff member. In the event no resolution is reached, the student should bring or send the complaint or grievance, in writing, to the appropriate officer of the College (e.g., the Provost for academic matters, the VP for Campus Life for campus life matters, the Vice President for Finance and Administration for problems with fees or business matters, or the Vice President for Enrollment Management for financial aid concerns) or to the College President’s Office, which will assign the complaint or grievance to the appropriate officer.

The Garnet Book

Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy

In order to maintain a positive atmosphere that facilitates teamwork, community, and learning, faculty, staff, and students should not mindlessly complain to their coworkers or classmates. If anyone has a problem or complaint, he/she is encouraged to bring the issue to someone who is a position to address the complaint. However, he/she should share one or two possible solutions to his/her complaint as well. All members of the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy community are asked to maintain a positive atmosphere in the School of Pharmacy by proposing constructive suggestions rather than simply complaining to one another. Students are encouraged to follow the procedures for reporting student concerns as described in this Bulletin for reporting complaints or problems along with possible solutions.

Students who have individual concerns involving a teacher or course that are not of general interest to the class, should speak directly to the course instructor. If the concern might involve more than one individual in the course/class, the concern should be taken to the relevant student class officer(s) so that they might sample class opinion to determine whether the issue is a concern of the majority of the class. If in the opinion of the class officer, the concern is valid, the class representative should bring the matter to the attention of the course instructor with the objective of resolving the issue at that level.

If the matter is unable to be resolved at this level, the concern should be taken to the course coordinator or in the case of experiential learning, to the Assistant/Associate Dean for Experiential Education. If the solution proves unsatisfactory, the appropriate Department Chairperson should be contacted concerning the matter. If the matter cannot be resolved at this level, or if the students feel that if was not handled satisfactorily, the matter should be taken to the Assistant/Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The matter will be reviewed and a recommendation will be made to the Dean for consideration and final determination.

In addition to the direct mechanism listed above, class officers may also bring matters to the attention of the Dean’s Council. The Dean’s Council exists to involve students in maintaining and improving the quality of the educational program of the School of Pharmacy.

If an issue cannot be satisfactorily resolved by either the direct mechanism or through the Dean’s Council, a formal written complaint may be filed with the Office of Professional and Student Affairs via submission of a “Student Grievance” form. The Assistant/Associate Dean for Professional and Student Affairs will contact persons involved to gather information and will then forward the complaint and any additional information to the Grievance Committee. The Grievance Committee will consider the matter and generate a written response that will be returned to the complainant within 30 days. Decisions of the Grievance Committee may be appealed to the Dean of the School of Pharmacy.

Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy Bulletin

South Carolina Student Complaint Procedures and Forms

If after following all internal measures listed above for having a complaint addressed, the student may file a complaint with the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education within two years of the incident. Please review the procedures and form here: South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Student Complaint Procedures and Form